Posted 9 November 2023

Can anyone recommend a good (and good value) electric shaver for a teenage boy?

My son's just started shaving and I thought he might appreciate an electric shaver for Christmas.
I really don't have any idea where to start as there are different styles and a range of brands. If anyone has a personal recommendation of something that isn't too expensive (preferably under £30) that would be great.
Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Braun Series 3 you can generally pick up the base model of within the £30 price bracket. It's good on sensitive skin and will still give a fairly close shave even if your technique isn't perfect. Unlike other brands they have kept the same parts for years so you can get a replacement cutting block later should he wish to stick with it for the long term, rather than finding it's useless and you need a whole new shaver because the blades are discontinued.

Philips get's a honorable mention with their rotary shavers, but having had one of them as my very first shaver I found it took a bit of practice to get a clean and close shave, and not have the discomfort of it pulling at some hairs. They are decent, but I quickly found I had a personal preference to foil shavers over rotary ones.

I'd personally avoid the likes of Remington and such. They aren't actually made by them and it's just cheap shavers with the brand name stuck on the box under license. They do a decent job to start with but don't tend to last.

So Braun definitely gets my recommendation. But if you can find a good deal it's sometimes worth spending a little extra for a better model (ProSkin - Better cutting block for an even more delicate shave and better ability to pick up hairs that lay flat. Rapid charge - Charge for a hour rather than 8. Pop-up trimmer - Good for going around the edges of things like sideburns when shaving to tidy and shape everything up)... Sometimes you can get these for around the £40 mark instead.
    Author
    That's a brilliant answer, thank you. I'll definitely go and check out the Braun and Philips ranges, but the last one you mention sounds like the best. I had no idea shaving could be so complicated.
    The Philips Oneblade is fantastic. I've had quite a few shavers but this is the best one I've found, not to mention the shaver itself is very affordable and the blade refills aren't too expensive. (edited)
    Author
    Philips is definitely getting a lot of love. Thank you.
    I've had a Remington one and Philips, the Philips definitely felt more solid and nicer cutting action but after about 4 years of light (weekly at most) use it just stopped working, 😔 Not blocked just completely dead. So I'm back the Remington which is horrible, might look.into Braun.
's avatar