Posted 15 November 2023

Can you start a new contract with a mobile provider you are already with?

My contract ends this Friday so I'm looking to get a new mobile. I'm with 02 at the moment and I've found a deal I really like the look of - but it's with 02. I usually swap providers each time.

Can I take a new contract out with 02 and finish the one I have - and move my number over to the new contract? Or is this not possible?

I usually swap providers so do the PAC method but I don't think that would be possible staying within the same provider.
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you are content to stay with the provider then why not talk to CS who would probably waive the remaining days based on the fact they can screw you over for the next 2 years
    Yes you can but you will have to get a pay as you go sim card with a different network and swap it to that and then back to your new sim, only yakes a few days though
    Standard double-port dance.

Likely cheapest method with inclusive allowances during porting period would be a Lebara (Voda) 99p/30day no-contract no-credit-check deal such as
    hotukdeals.com/dea…881

Port existing contract to intermediary (Lebara?) whenever you want. If porting prior to contract end, there will be an early termination charge of the remaining contract period; if porting after contract term: the costs cease on day of port.
    Port from intermediary to o2 next working day of whenever you wish.

Discussed many times here.
    Maybe use the new HUKD search tool with keywords of "port" or similar in "Discussions" section,
    although you'll probably obtain booze-related results
    Vodafone now has upgrade contracts for SIM only (upgrade is misleading, because you can downgrade as well - I went from 200GB to 70GB) which do not require the double port dance and they still come with the same "new user" incentives like cashback redemption. Plus you need not take them from the same retailer as your present contract.
    Some people on the following thread said that when ordering from O2 it asks if you want to set up a new account or log in and apply the tariff to an existing account.

hotukdeals.com/dis…767
's avatar