Posted 19 January 2024

Choosing a printer - minefield!

I'm on the lookout for a simple compact printer for home use. Currently have a HP inkjet with their ink plan but it's on its last legs since my kid decided to pour an entire bottle of water on it

Anyway I'm looking at these Epson eco type ones that come with 3 years worth of ink in bottles, are they any good? There are soo many models and they all look the same to me, which do I go for??

Help please
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If color ain't important for a brother black and white will last years on ink and won't break

Colour is what kills printers
    Author
    I never really considered this, I didn't even know you could get just b&w printers. Thinking about it I don't really need colour, I'm only using it for forms, documents, parcel labels and stuff for the kids. Thank you for the tip I'll look into it.
    I would go with a Brother mono ( so B&W ) laser printer and check to make sure it's able to be used with cheap compatible after market toners.Laser printers are great you could leave it for ages without using and it wouldn't have ink that dries up like the inkjet printers
    I have an HP that's used for essentials like backup boarding passes and parcel labels. I buy the original cartridges as needed, not the sub. The initial setup onto the WiFi was funny-peculiar. The cartridges includes the print head so hopefully I wont get the clogging I had with the Canon. Despite all the criticism HP printers get, it's serving it's purpose.

So maybe consider another HP? (edited)
    Author
    I'm avoiding the brand for ethical reasons...
    Does it need to have wifi?
    If it's to be used on a Chromebook, then it requires wifi
    Another vote for Brother laser printer.

amazon.co.uk/Bro…24/

£102 for wireless version.

Compatible toners are about £6 each and last ages.
    +1 Brother mono laser and then cartrigesave for compatible toner as their's have never failed me.
's avatar