Posted 2 days ago

Console help

So I'm a bit lost with consoles. My son has a switch and plays fortnite. I'd like to get him a console but probably not the top one. He's saved up a bit of money and i'm just wanting to top it up to get him something.

So Xbox one S (not digital one) seems ok as its basically pretty cheap second hand and it seems the discs are pretty cheap. this seems a good idea but its old tech and i've had fingers burnt by old tech before.

Xbox S is obs next gen but doesn't have disc drive so is this a big enough let down not to invest in newer spec?

He would probably play fortnite and think he would like ms flight sim but believe i can just get a subscription for this that works on either?

So do i go S and just get a subscription - probably never buy games OR one s and the bargain games are worth it.

He keeps going on about a PS5 because mr beast tells him he needs one but was hoping this would stop gap him for atleast a couple of years.
Community Updates
New Comment

36 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    According to the web site xbox.com/en-…tor is only available for the Xbox One x & S (although it has cloud play, so you could play it on an Xbox One - I'll test that shortly). It's also part of gamepass. If you get a disk based console you can pick up games for cheap from the likes of CEX. Although with gamepass you get enough games.
    The PS5 does have flight sims, but they are more arcade style than MS flight sim...

Yep - just tested, it plays fine via cloudplay on the Xbox One X (edited)
    The single most important thing to consider when choosing a console now is what console your child's friends use, There is a very strong social aspect to console gaming now, kids chat with their mates on their consoles even when not playing the same game.
    If he keeps going on about a PS5 then you should consider that and also consider what his friends use.
    master system, but get the Alex Kidd one .

you won’t have to pay a subscription, and you and your son will actually know who he is playing with
    Isn't the One S only like £40 cheaper than Series S nowadays? Hardly worth it for such a small saving. Series S might be digital only, but it's a decent console and can be picked up for around £100-120, and if he is primarily playing Fortnite then that will keep him occupied as it's frequently updated. I'd personally forget about getting anything other than current gen. (edited)
    Have you considered an Xbox one X? Bought one second hand in the last year, quite happy with it.
    You haven't mentioned what your budget is?
    Ps4.

Doesn't matter if his friends use ps4, 5, xbox, switch or PC He'll be able to play fortnite with them all online without any subscription. (edited)
    Yes but if his mates are all playing and chatting on Xbox live he won't be able to join the conversation. (edited)
    The only thing that matters is if he is interested in playing other games. If he isn't then there's no point spending money on a different console . . .
    *What I mean is - Fortnite is the same on any console. It's a waste buying a new console because an internet influencer has groomed it (edited)
    Well it isn't even exactly the same on two different PC's...
    How old is your son? Perhaps he is happy to "upgrade" and sell on the switch to pay for the PS5 / Xbox Series X.
    I picked up a Series X that was only manufactured in Sep 2023 with Cod MW III for £250 delivered...
    Either get a PS5 by selling the switch or go for the Xbox Series S, and if there's a way you can get 3 years of xbox ultimate game pass still, then that's the best way. I got my 6 year old one and 3 years of xbox Live Gold for about £80 then upgraded to game pass for £1 for the whole 3 years. You would have to search up on here or YouTube how to do it, though.
    The majority of Xbox first-party games are next-gen only (Series X|S). Would mean he misses out on playing the likes of Indiana Jones and The Great Circle, Age of Mythology Retold, Avowed, Towerborne, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024, Senua's Saga: Hellblade II, Forza Motorsport, Starfield, Redfall, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Hi-Fi RUSH, and DEATHLOOP. (edited)
    He'll be dodging a bullet by missing out on Redfall
's avatar