Posted 7 January 2024

Deco mesh device

Hi
I have purchased 2 x E4 Meco desh devices which are reducing our download speed by 50%. Icarried out an external download speed check and the download speed was 100mb compared to the 200mb we get from our Virgin router.

Are there any other similitude devices that won't compromise the download speed.

The reason we have purchased the devices is so that we can put time restrictions on all of the childrens devices. We do have the Virgin connect app, but you cannot preset time restrictions. You can only pause/unpause in real time.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you want to restrict internet time, and track them, then apps like Life360 might be appropriate. My friend has all of the devices mapped in, Xbox, laptop, etc, so when the kids are jerks all the perks are removed. It also means that only the laptop is available when homework needs to be done. You can set time zones as well.
    They can also track the kids when out on their own, which has proved beneficial
    Author
    Hi Tristan

I have the free version of this, but my teenage son keeps uninstalling it.
    Most aftermarket routers have parental controls on them.
    This is Asus for example.. asus.com/uk/…20/
    I believe the Deco E4 ethernet port is limited to 100Mbps.

Take a look at Google WiFi mesh, will not reduce your speeds and have excellent family settings built in.

Pretty cheap used now from CEX (edited)
    My deco did some restriction too, there was a setting somewhere to no limit the speed test or something and since then I see it connects at full speed.. it was some time ago but feel it was in the speed test section aomewhere
    My Deco M4 don't seem to lower my speeds on my phone, but does my PC - because of the cheap USB wireless card I'm using. But I mean I just ignore it, 140Mbps with 3-4ms latency is fine for everything I do on my PC.
    My phone get's 250Mbps.

Question is, what do your kids do that 100mb isn't enough for? Other than large video game updates there is no real reason to need more.

The Deco app is really nice for things like time restrictions though, and it is a more reliable way than an application on there phone/laptop. (edited)
's avatar