Posted 8 December 2023

Do you need a TV license to watch live TV midway through?

So wondering if it's possible to watch live TV when the programme is being aired live but you start watching it 30 minutes later so theoretically what you are watching isn't live?
Community Updates
New Comment

32 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Watch it via a strategically placed mirror, the Medusa workaround
    If you watch it in a mirror, it would be a repeat. If you watched it in two mirrors to get it the right way round, it would be a repeat of a repeat.
    Do I need a TV Licence if I watch a programme on a delay?

Yes. Even if the device you use creates a delay between when the programme is shown and when you watch it, you need a TV Licence.
    For the TV license Live TV doesnt mean live in the sense of watching something thats actually happening right now - its not a great choice of words as it could be a show filmed years ago.

They mean watching a scheduled broadcast programme as opposed to something that youve picked from the catchup or library sections of an app like ITVx (but anything from iPlayer needs the license). If you record a programme when it was broadcast to watch it later it still counts.

Although many might just watch stuff from Disney+ Prime Netflix etc, to genuinely go an entire year without watching one single news programme or coverage of a major event or something like that doesnt really sound credible. (edited)
    I have TV license and I can do it without watching any news programmes, not everyone likes news. Plus on YouTube there's news now.
    TV license is for BBC only.. The government sets the fee. It's founded by the government, that's why BBC productions don't have ads.

The website is very misleading and majority people think they need to pay for everything they watch. It's not true.

If you don't watch BBC and don't need a TV license but we are forced to pay it.

From channel 5 faqs website

"DOES MY TV LICENCE PAY FOR CHANNEL 5?

Channel 5 is a free commercial terrestrial TV channel. Like ITV and Channel 4, we obtain all of our revenue from advertising, and do not receive any money from the TV licence system, all of which goes to the BBC."

It should be renamed to "BBC TV license" (edited)
    Wrong, wrong and wrong and have another wrong as a just in case you are wrong.

You need a licence if you watch any “live” tv from any main stream broadcaster not just the BBC as far as I know.
    How do u prove u don't watch YouTube live videos or only catch-up when u have the option to watch live
    You can't... But better that that YOU DONT HAVE TO !
    It's down to the prosecution to prove law breaking...
    Most TV convictions are a result of admission by the householder... And most are women.
    Don't forget you don't have to talk to them - or the police for that matter unless THEY have proof of wrong doing.
    TV licensing hate this one work around that only one person has thought of!
    This is a wind up surely!
    The default answer is always - YES!
    It's a tax then set and collected by the government to be reinvested in the programming, therefore it is founded by the government using public money. No difference to Russia or North Korea state television.

DOES MY TV LICENCE PAY FOR CHANNEL 5?

The wording on tv license website is very confusing
    It couldn't be any clearer on the TV licence site
    Yes (edited)
    If I record 'English Football League Highlights' and watch it a year later I need a TV license.
    But if I watch it the next day on ITVx I do not as it's now from the catchup or library sections of an app ?
    Correct
    They closed that 'recorded vs live' loophole a while ago. Now, if you use iplayer you need a licence. So now it's:

1. Live or time-delayed TV broadcast from any source + anything on BBC iplayer = licence fee

2. Recorded program from any provider other than BBC e.g Disney, ITV = no licence fee
    Point 2 should be catch-up, not recorded
    Yes.
's avatar