Posted 24 December 2023

Dogs in Coffee shops

What are your thoughts on dogs in coffee shops? I've never really thought too much about it until recently where I've been to a few and there is dog hair everywhere, seen owners letting their dogs jump on tables and seats and barking, lots of barking. I mean, people put their food on the tables and sit on the seats and most staff only remove the mugs without properly wiping anything. Is it gross or one of those things you can't mention in case someone gets offended?
Community Updates
New Comment

37 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I don't have a problem with dogs, but with far too many dog owners who have zero clue on the right thing to do and worse, a sense of entitlement that it is their right to have a pet in a place that serves food.
    Well said!
    I'm fine with it and take mine most days. No way would I allow it on seats / tables and it is under control at all times.

Some cafes here do allow dogs, some don't which allows everyone to make their choice. In some tourist locations dog walkers are the only trade they get in the winter.

I find noisy children more irritating
    I find the price of coffee in coffee shops more irritating. If I'm going to pay a fiver for a drink, it's going to be a pint pulled by someone without a top knot and nose ring. The price of the pint is justified by a meaningful amount of tax.
    My dog loves a visit to the pub with her mates.51823098-A1MAz.jpg
    I refused a drink made by Cafe Nero staff cos she was petting a customer's dog and went straight to making mine without washing hands.

It was my local branch about a 5 min walk from home. Not been back since.

I just don't like animals in food/drink serving establishments (absolutely no issue with guide dogs) (edited)
    There is a dog coffee shop close to the entrance to a major park near to where we live.

Always packed with walkers and their dogs. Seems to work as a marketing exercise.
    Author
    A dog coffee shop is fine as you know what you're getting and what to expect.
    Keep them out of food and drink establishments full stop. Unless they are guide dogs.
    That's a real problem for people with dogs on holiday or out and about. There was a man on the bus last Monday that smelt worse than any dog for example.
    I don't think I ever caught anything off a dog. Sickness and covid off people yeah. Dogs no (edited)
    I am a dog owner and do agree with you.
    I don't think dogs should be allowed to jump on tables whilst there is food/drink on it.
    Your not allowed to take dogs in a supermarket(unless guide dog) due to food being sold.
    I think outside a coffee shop is ok,but it is down to the coffee shop staff in the end.
    Merry Xmas/New Year
    I am a dog owner and still don’t take my dog when eating out or going for coffee as for 1…I want peace to relax and enjoy what I came out for and 2…I still feel uncomfortable at the thought of dogs being in food places as years ago this wasn’t allowed and I was a chef for 20 years and back then when completing food safety law…it was forbidden for any animal to be within a hospitality setting…maybe I’m just old school because it was unacceptable back in the day…also doesn’t help if the owners don’t know how to conduct their dogs behaviour while in these places and wouldn’t fancy having dog hairs served up with my food or drinks…don’t allowed it in my own house even though he’s hypoallergenic and doesn’t cast and have rules where he’s not allowed in the kitchen unless it’s feeding time for him!
    Never seen a problem with dogs around but it's not common. My understanding is they are refused entry because they attack people and children. Owners can't control their dogs. Make a rule that dogs allowed if muzzled and stay at table (edited)
    This is quite a broad sweeping statement - the majority of dog owners can control their dogs (I am a dog owner) and it’s sadly the minority of dog owners who can’t control their dogs which make the news when something tragic happens
    It's entirely the decision of the coffee shop owner but i personally wouldn't go in. I went to Cheshire Oaks (outlet stores) last month and i was surprised to see dogs in 90% of the shops.
    In the US people have signs on the dogs saying they are emotion support animals and they are allowed virtually anywhere, seems we are going down a similar route.
    Author
    I personally wouldn't buy clothes from a shop where dogs are allowed in. I guess they'll be allowed in al restaurants next as "emotional support" animals (edited)
    So long as the place is clean and the dogs are well behaved. I'm not really too bothered. I'm a dog owner myself though.
    Sick of seeing dogs around town in the shops
    Seen a few in M&S food hall with their irresponsible owners too!
    If I was in any sort of cafe/restaurant and seen a dog I'd walk out ( Guide dogs excluded)
    Some people think their dogs are like children
    Oh and I have owned dogs for 40 years, but know the difference between a human and a dog
    Still better behaved than kids.
    Author
    No, not really
    It’s those cat cafes that gets me. I can only imagine how many eyes are watching me eat a tuna baguette.
    Most cool place allow them and have no problems but can understand if they don't.
    As someone mentioned earlier, dog welcome is a winter/rainy day survival tactic for some of the coffee shops around here particularly sea front. Some may have dog free zones. It's the dog walkers that take the place of the summer tourists.

I find the laptop brigade hogging the seating so much more irritating.
    I’m an animal lover. It’s just the owners that are the problem.
    Author
    Yes and no. They could stop the dogs jumping on the seats and on the table but they aren't going to stop the dogs shedding hair or barking at other dogs in the shop, which is just what you want when going for a coffee.
    I don't see it as a good thing. For a non dog-owner like me, the idea of co-existing in eating places with dogs as if they were people is odd- I mean, they're known to eat poop and puke aren't they? They're not really like us.

I don't like how many dog owners seem to think that it's fine to let their dog sniff, nibble and paw at a total strangers. It happens to me when I'm out walking, and I'd certainly be p-d off if it happened when I was sitting down trying to eat.
    Author
    The least favourite thing I've seen is a dog owner brushing his super hairy dog in a Cafe Nero and it was going everywhere. Gross
    Their hairs go everywhere, would avoid. It even floats in the air.
    It's already been said but for me it's more about owners than the dogs. Well behaved/controlled dogs I have no issue with. Sadly I've been in too many pubs where owners let their dogs run round with their lead attached. Its a flipping hazard. If they jump up/pester people rather than controlling their dog you just get the "It's ok, he's friendly" with no regard for the person's temperament for dogs or getting covered in mud and dog slobber. I say all this as a dog owner myself who is aware there are people and cultures who don't look at dogs favourably.

Well groomed dog shouldn't shed too much hair but depends on the breed I guess. Being allergic I try to distance myself for really fluffy dogs like Huskies. If I walked into a café or pub with 3+ dogs I might avoid it. Just 1 barking dog and I'm out.

A lot of this can apply to Children too

Interesting that a few people have mentioned they're fine with guide dogs, in my experience they have been the dirtiest and smelliest dogs I've come across. Obviously I understand their role in helping the visually impaired.
's avatar