Posted 13 November 2023

fair price to put shed together

what would be a fair price to assemble an 8x6 Beckwood, Forrest Garden Pent shed. Comes in sections to screw together as per video below

forestgarden.co.uk/product/beckwood-8x6-pent-shed-2-windows/

was thinking it would take 2-3 hours to build

thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    i would say £200 - £300
    My OH put shed together, took half a day, was very high quality and he is ex carpenter by trade
    Firstly I wouldn’t want a shed where the side are in separate pieces. Four sides should come as four pieces for strength (not 8 as here) and lateral movement.

Secondly, get a local shed builder to build one for you as they tend to build it first and then flat pack it for delivery so everything is already pre drilled and fits perfectly.

In answer to your question, I would be embarrassed if that took more than an hour to put together.
    I doubt it's 2-3 hours. The video shows it requires two people & a lot of faff. How long did it take yourself? hotukdeals.com/dis…574 (edited)
    It looks very flimsy and poor quality.
    Check if you have anyone local who builds sheds. You should be able to get something decent for the same money.
    Minimum £200. Most likely £300 to £400 because for best results it really should be a 2 person job & if it is over half a day where can they fill the rest of the day up to earn a full days work?

It is at least half a day.

On their website they say £400. By the way, will they be providing/building the base?
    Author
    no base. it's going on tarmac. we had one there before and it was fine.

originally ordered a different model forest garden shed from homebase
    was £750 but used vouchers to bring price down to £610. forest garden delivered a different model instead saying they have discontinued the old model and this one is better as it has 25 year anti rot guarantee. i complained to supplier. they said it's the same shed..i said it's a different colour, and different dimensions how can it be the same shed? and the typical selling price for the shed they sent was £550 with free solar light whereas the shed i had ordered was typically selling for over £700. homebase weren't interested in partial refund - i said i could get the shed they sent for £60 less and a free solar light. they said they would get supplier to collect, issue a refund and i could buy same one elsewhere. get it delivered again. how is that good for the environment? i couldn't be bothered with the hassle of it.

i may try putting together myself but got no help and would need to get a combi drill

thanks for the help (edited)
    Cost a lot of money in relation to the cost of the shed. If you still have the option I would return it for a refund without further thought. Then, like others have said - buy one local from a local supplier who will include the installation in the cost. It will cost all in no more than £1,000 (possibly less dependent on where you are) and will last a heck of a lot longer than the flimsy ones sold by the sheds.

If this is too much, then it is not difficult to put together yourself - although be good to have a 2nd set of hands to just hold things in place whilst you secure
    A cup of tea and 2 chocolate biscuits!
    Probably looking at £250-£350 in reality
    You built it yet? Did a summer house of similar quality/dimensions with no experience of doing sheds etc, took a day, Tip 1: its handy but not essential to have an extra pair of hands to hold things in place, Tip 2: you'll need a basic drill, Tip 3: don't assume the prebuilt panels will line up, Tip 4: the base must be flat as poss. Tip 5: make sure its all squared up/use a tool to make sure (my undoing), Tip 6: take plenty time getting the door right, Tip 7: getting the cheap roof felt they've sent you nice and tidy in one piece is harder than you think, Tip 8: Put some cheap tarp under the roof felt for waterproofing
's avatar