Posted 1 February 2024

Faulty TV just over 4 years old. Any options?

I bought a Samsung TV just over 4 years ago and just before Xmas I noticed that I could see the LEDs in the backlight quite badly and dark areas when there is either a solid panel of colour on the TV or at times where there is motion. I ran a YouTube video that tests the picture which highlights the issue really well.

I've tweeted Samsung's X account and they have asked for a DM to no doubt get me away from the public eye and have sent them the images. Was bought through the Currys eBay store (yeah I know), so thinking I have more recourse direct with Samsung. Any ideas if I have a leg to stand on and if so what kind of things I need to be quoting to get some traction?

4290619_1.jpg4290619_1.jpg4290619_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

2 Comments

's avatar
    If you believe your Samdung has suffered premature failure:
    standard Consumer Rights Act claim against the trader that sold you the prematurely failed rubbish.
    (The manufacturer has no obligation to you, but may offer gesture of goodwill).

You will likely have to pre-fund a credible report to show that your Samdung has suffered premature failure but the cost of the report is recoverable if the credible report supports concept of PF.
    A credible report is little more than a repair quotation from a credible professional organisation - ideally including the phrase similar to
    inspection indicated premature failure of {name of component(s)]

There is an HUKD example of successful CRA claim for a prematurely busted TV at four years old - also involving Currys:
    hotukdeals.com/com…479
    At first glance I would have said this was an LG TV as one of their bigger failure points is the little round lenses fall off the backlight LED's over time creating very noticeable hot spots though much more obvious than the symptoms your TV shows. This might sound odd but if you can pick up the TV and tip it left and right, see if you can hear things rattling around (LED lenses) inside. If so its a obvious manufacturing defect and will give you more ammo against Currys.