Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 22 March 2024

Flight upgrade

Hi all,

I’m flying with American Airlines shortly & would like any tips on gaining an upgrade on the flight? Currently flying economy on a near 10 hour flight.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Pay extra
    I fly AA often, your best bet is to do online check-in when it opens, if the flight is light or they are looking to move people they will offer any upgrade then at a cost. This happens quite often and you can get some great prices, whilst doing online check-in last august I was offered a upgrade from economy to first for $30, this was a internal US flight, I bit there hand of as I knew id drink more than that in the first class lounge.
    Joining their frequent flier scheme may help. I've been flying for 50 years and never had an upgrade so don't hold your breath .
    Not unless you do 100k+ miles every year with them, and even then, upgrades on international flights are rare. Besides, most airlines have moved to revenue based loyalty programmes and how much you spend is more important than how much you fly. (edited)
    There are no tips, everything is revenue driven. Ignore all the nonsense about dressing up nicely and telling the agent it is your birthday / anniversary.
    Pretty unattainable these days. Massive seniority on the airlines loyalty scheme helps. Travelling in uniform, military or airline was once a shoe in, but no longer so.
    Generally, check-in early, use airline app, join loyalty scheme, have airline credit card, travel alone, ask nicely at the gate. There are some airline schemes where you can auction bid for an upgrade, not sure if AA does this, if so try to travel on an unpopular flight with plenty of spare capacity. Don't bother with dressing in business suit, no longer a factor.
    There were some lucky people on the way back from Mumbai with Virgin recently with economy to premium and premium to upper (sadly, not me). Only reason was that they were 100 people overbooked!!! I found that out from a stewardess who was waiting for the same bus as me at Heathrow (she explained the 1h delay leaving rather than the claimed late arrival).
    As everyone has said, it's going to be very very rare that you would get an upgrade. Every margin has been slimmed down to the minimum, where airlines prefer to overbook than have a few seats empty.

That being said, it may be possible for the check in desk to block the seat next to you, so you have a bit more space
    Easy way to get an upgrade is to pay for it. You want comfort then these days you have to get your wallet out.
    I had an upgrade with American Airlines once… Basically because I had the same surname as the gate staff dealing with the overbooking of cattle class… Not much of a tip I’m afraid, and it was probably thirty years ago

's avatar