Posted 4 days ago

Flimsy Ironing board left carpet damaged Argos

Hi All,
I would like to get some advise on an issue I have had with an ironing board I brought from Argos.
I brought the following ironing board, not paying attention to reviews where many have stated unstable and wobbly.
argos.co.uk/pro…508

The ironing board turned out to be fairly unstable and my iron fell down twice, second time damaging the carpet and leaving a big mark.

I contacted Argos customer support and I was put through to Executive Office, they initially offered a refund for the ironing board and £40 in Argos vouchers, I didn't take this up, as it wasn't enough to fix the carpet or replace it. The other option was to return the ironing board, they asses, and come back to me.

I got a call from Argos team earlier today and they have stated there is nothing wrong with the ironing board, it went through testing in various ways and it was fine, they did not find it unstable. I mentioned I was not happy with the outcome and they stated I would need to take this up further independently.

What are my options next please?
Community Updates
New Comment

26 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Probably end up claiming on house insurance.
    Ironing boards are known for being wobbly as large legs would be a trip hazard.
    Keep pushing and take what's offered. Probably something written in the user guide covering stability and user caution? Could phone trading standards and ask. (edited)
    The general public can't contact Trading Standards, you have to go via Citizens Advice.
    This is a cul-de-sac.... You're wasting your time, take the refund and move on.
    Is carpet a suitable surface ?
    Not now it's got a big hole burnt in.
    Ironing board wobbled you grabbed it and the iron fell, that ain’t Argos Fault tbh,
    As stated before bad reviews don’t mean it’s not fit for purpose
    Just read the review they not that bad I feel you grabbing it caused the iron to fall so live and move on

Should of taken the £40 in vouchers they offered (edited)
    Claim for accidental damage through your household insurance? Maybe ask for Argos to pay the insurance excess as a goodwill gesture?

Unfortunately I can't see how you can really get argos to pay for the carpet damage....especially as you no longer have the board in your possession for independent testing to be carried out.

You can check to see if there have been safety recalls against that particular product...and if so that might be an avenue you could explore.....but most major retailers are aware of product safery recalls and so it seems unlikely they would still be selling it.
    Author
    I really didn't want to take that route and ideally wanted to be able to take this further with Argos.
    With my pervious ironing board I never had the iron fall and with the new one twice within 2 weeks.
    if a product is not fit for purpose then you will get a refund for it. you won't be able to claim compensation for using it. you had stated that it had fallen twice before it damaged the carpet, you should have realised that it was not fit for purpose the first time the iron fell off and not continued to use it, so in a way, you are partly to blame for the accident. this is what an independent person will see it if you claim for compensation.
    Author
    I see what you mean, but a lot of the times you give things another go.
    Did the iron fall to the carpet because it collapsed? If it wasn't, then I suspect you will have an issue getting evidence that it was because of a fault with the ironing board.
    Author
    No, it wobbled whilst ironing, I grabbed the ironing board but the iron fell down. What about all the negative reviews which specifically state the ironing board rocks and some stated it fell down for them also.
's avatar