Posted 10 January 2024

Garden light that can be controlled remotely

We have an outside socket so the light can be plugged into the socket for power.

Anyone can recommend a garden light that could be plugged into the outside socket and we can turn it on from the inside of the house or with a remote control / phone app? Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    SONOFF S55 UK WIFI Smart Power Socket Outdoor Plug IP55 Waterproof App Control. (About £16)

amazon.co.uk/Wat…17N

Other supplies have stock, I have 2, both work well. (edited)
    Yeah, that seems perfect! I always worried about that kind of theng until the house my parents bought had about a dozen (regular twin) external sockets (in those waterproof housings) and got a lot of use without issue.
    If its a flood light style - and you are happy to replace, then Quientic make a specific product;
    tlc-direct.co.uk/Pro…tml
    Which you would pair with;
    tlc-direct.co.uk/Pro…tml

This can then be mounted in any back box (metal or surface). Note, this doesn't need power - whole USP of the product.

Alternatively, like my last comment - you can insert a controller in line (much like the SmartHome style devices already commented)
    tlc-direct.co.uk/Pro…tml

I had my fun with HomeAssistant and smart home products (and do rate SONOFF), but ultimately I'm now only using a few Quinetic devices were I cannot be bothered to wire appropriately.

Hope this helps!
    Author
    that sounds great. i will have a look into it, thanks.
    Just change your socket to one that you can control.
    Author
    that was the other option. do you know of an external one that can be controlled?
    51953919-x7A4w.jpg
    ?
    I use tapo smart plugs and control it via Alexa - usually voice control on echo in the house but can use the app. Obviously needs to be waterproof and have WiFi signal.
    To avoid complication and keep the cost down I would go the smart bulb route with a regular outdoor light fitting. We have a Philips bulb in the bulkhead light attached to side of the house and that works a treat. You would need your wifi signal to be strong enough to work in the garden.
    Just stick a smart bulb in it? Sorry may have misunderstood. If you have the light but want to control the way you said then a smart bulb is your answer.  (edited)
    Author
    i have a socket in the garden and a light on the wall that plugs into the socket. it is one of those very bright ones that you get outdoors. it uses a filament bulb rather than a tradional bulb.

I could into installing an external light that uses a tradional bulb and then use a smart bulb in it. does smart bulb work outdoors and will the signal be good enough for it to be controlled from inside the house?
    Chances are there won't be, but if there is enough space under the socket in the outdoor socket box, you could fit something like a sonoff mini to switch the power to the socket. Or you could fit one in a small waterproof box in place of the socket and move the socket next to it.

Best replace the old light with a modern energy efficient LED one, unless you can get a cheap led bulb for it.

51955611-huVy0.jpg
    Could you not get an electrician to wire a light up for you and put a switch inside for you to use?

We've had that done and had no issues.
    Author
    that would be the easiest option but that would be costly. i was hoping to use new tech which doesn't need an electrician.
    Quinetic is good I you dont want an app. Hide all the gubbins in line with a gel box. Switch can be mounted anywhere inside.
    Simple option - Smart bulb (worth a try, with a WiFi extender if needed)

More involved - fit a new smart socket or smart controller (not recommended unless you're competent with electrical installation).

Worth considering - fit a new outdoor light fitting with PIR detector - would this do the job for you?
    Author
    it would work except i find these sort of flood lights will keep turning on as we have foxes visiting us, but we could try that first and see how that fares.
's avatar