Posted 26 June 2015

Getting cash from John Lewis gift card

I received a John Lewis gift card as a birthday present. I would much rather have the cash. Short of selling it, is there any way I can use it in store to get back cash? T&C says credit will remain in case only part of the amount is used and it seems refunds would also be in form of credit. No way out?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    How much do you have?
    No.
    There is no cash equivalent.

You could sell it or trade it with a friend or relative who's going to buy something from John Lewis.

Remember you can use the card in Waitrose as well.
    Spend it in waitrose, they will give you change in cash.
    Author
    It is for £250.

Waitrose is poor value for me, but if I can buy a £2 item and get £248 back in cash at the till that would be better than waiting for a Black Friday/Christmas deal at JL.

Is the Waitrose cash return tried and tested?
    faxmax

It is for £250.Waitrose is poor value for me, but if I can buy a £2 item a … It is for £250.Waitrose is poor value for me, but if I can buy a £2 item and get £248 back in cash at the till that would be better than waiting for a Black Friday/Christmas deal at JL.Is the Waitrose cash return tried and tested?

Put it on eBay, you'll probably get £300 for it
    faxmax

It is for £250.Waitrose is poor value for me, but if I can buy a £2 item a … It is for £250.Waitrose is poor value for me, but if I can buy a £2 item and get £248 back in cash at the till that would be better than waiting for a Black Friday/Christmas deal at JL.Is the Waitrose cash return tried and tested?

this would be interesting.

please post back if it works =)

i also have a voucher but no use =/
    faxmax

yeah thats what i mean, buy something for £1 and get change in cash. ive done it last year with a £50 john lewis i got with a galaxy tab, my sister done it a few months back for £75 x2 (separate transaction). I am certain it will be fine, £250 is alot to do in one go, so maybe try another cashier if one refuses.

(edited)
    You could have a look at a company called Zeek, I think their voucher deals have been on here recently - they also buy vouchers back from you, I don't know the in's and out's but maybe of some help
    If it's the gift card and not the vouchers then the easiest would be to sell waitress and John Lewis won't give cash for it, if it's the old vouchers which won't expire then either place will ask for the smallest note
    faxmax

did it work?
    Author
    GotBass

did it work?

Haven't tried.
's avatar