Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 20 February 2024

Has anyone tried the Aldi/Lidl brands of toothpaste/mouthwash?

I think Lidl's is Dentalux and Aldi's is Dentitex.

If yes, how do they compare to the more expensive and established brands like Colgate and Listerine?

TIA.
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Yes, one of my bugbears is all the tiny excuses for toothpaste in e.g. Home Bargains, I think they're down to something like 75mm in some cases but still "normal price".

Tried the 125mm Aldi one and does the job, foams up, tastes minty etc.

Don't over-analyze, it's toothpaste probably made in the same factory as Colgate etc.

Vote with your, err, feet! (edited)
    Look at the ingredients. Probably very little difference other than flavour, percentage of salt, and marketing
    I've tried most of their mouthwash and toothpaste
    All rubbish
    Hardly any taste of mint
    Save your money
    The taste of mint has nothing to do with the efficacy of the toothpaste. Polo mints taste very minty, as does mint choc chip ice cream, but they really aren't much good for your teeth at all.
    Tried dentitex mouthwash instead of Colgate once, if you can use that stuff you're a different breed
    Couldn't keep it in my mouth longer than a few seconds and it stripped all my mouth, was dry as hell for hours, not sure what chemicals are in there but its like paint stripper and definitely isn't going to give you fresh breath.
    My mrs told me to stop being daft over reacting until she used it, then threw it in the bin (edited)
    Lidl dentalux seems as good as any other branded toothpaste to me and about 5 times cheaper then colgate total. (edited)
    Most toothpaste and other similar personal grooming products (mouthwash, soaps, shower gels and shampoo) contains very similar ingredients. It's only the sensitive toothpaste that have a couple of extra or different ingredients for blocking or numbing pain.

It's all brands and marketing. Almost all of the brand products are made by Unilever, P&G (proctor and Gamble), Colgate-Palmolive, and a few other smaller OEM or independent manufacturers.

It's the same as the difference between a branded pain killer like Anadin or nurofen that contain paracetamol or ibuprofen. You can just buy a generic one containing almost identical ingredients for less money. (edited)
    There are two main desensitising active ingredients - Potassium Nitrate or Arginine.

Potassium Nitrate is older and used in most of the cheaper sensitive toothpastes & Sensodyne
    Arginine is newer and used by Colgate (except in their cheaper Sensifoam toothpaste)
    Purple ALDI Dentitex is my go to mouthwash.
    I can understand people asking for advice on buying mobile's, cars, white goods etc, but own branded toothpaste? Just buy it, try it and go from there. If everyone posted that they were happy with it, you're still not guaranteed that it'll be right for you.

This is the world we now live in 🤦🏻
's avatar