Posted 14 December 2023

HDMI Questions

Hi, I have a Sky Stream box, Sony HT-X8500 and an LG TV.

Sky Stream goes into the HDMI port on the soundbar and then soundbar is connected to the TV via HDMI Arc.

I occasional get sound dips and popping noises on audio from sky stream. I'm looking at replacing the hdmi cables and the last few I've tried hasn't resolved the issue.

Is it worth going for certified 2.1 HDMI cables even though my TV doesn't support it, or should I go for high end 2.0 cables? I didn't know if 2.1 would allow more bandwidth for sky stream?

As sky stream and soundbar are connected directly together by cable, I thought a 2.1 cable may help?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Kenable do good certified 2.1 cables that do not cost the earth.

kenable.co.uk/en/…les

Less than £10 & you could answer your problem.
    Author
    I saw them but then they also have more expensive ones on their store so I'm unsure what the difference is or what I'd need?
    My tv is getting old and had issues with my Sky Q and Sonos Beam, I have sorted it with this by splitting the sound. Might be worth a look.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…h=1
    It doesn't sound like you're doing anything particularly unusual or cutting edge so if the second cable didn't resolve it I'd be looking elsewhere for the problem.
    Author
    I'm going to try the latest hdmi cables. I have old ones so it could be I've tried old ones that just don't like my soundbar and sky stream.
    How long are your cables? For short 1-2m cables I've found that almost anything works, but once I went past 3m I had issues with a lot of cables, even (cheap) certified ones.
    Author
    1 - 2m here. Some that I'm using are a fair few years old. I also think it's a sky stream issue. Not sure if more bandwidth cables will work but new decent cables is my last ditch attempt before I ask sky to replace the box.
    If your TV doesn't have an actual HDMI 2.1 port. Using a higher bandwidth HDMI 2.1 cable will make no real difference. Even if you had HDMI 2.1 on your TV. Unless the device you connected to it supports high bandwidth or high resolution output. It won't make any difference.
's avatar