Posted 1 day ago

How are Tesco's getting away with higher prices in their smaller shops!?!?

I went and bought some potatoes, onions, white cabbage and carrots that are on offer for 15p each yesterday from a big sized branch of Tescos. Was checking for sunflower oil and the 5 litre bottle is on offer at £5.50 online, but instore its £6.50!

Just comeback from my nearest small branch and saw the same items that are on offer, priced at 35p each with the blue and yellow offer label Checked online thinking if the offer has ended, but nope, its still 15p!

How are they able to get away with such pricing discrepancies from online to their big shops to their small shops!?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

30 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sainsbury’s are quite transparent about it. As per their website:

”Different sizes of stores have very different operational requirements and running costs. Rents, for example, are often more expensive in our smaller stores due to their locations. It can also be more of a challenge to deliver products to our local stores. These, and other factors such as staffing, local rates and a focus on convenience products mean there are differences in price between our supermarkets and local stores.“
    Yes, I also noticed this. About 20 years ago
    Because they can?

No one is forcing you to buy there. Simply vote with your wallet.
    I dont see them saying they were being forced?
    Op, you mean Tesco express?.
    If yes it always has been the case as far as I can remember.
    Same with Sainsbury's local.
    simply because "the market " can bare it.
    Smaller stores like Tesco Express are considered more like convenience stores, similar to newsagents and Co-ops. They can afford to not be competitive because their store locations are usually a bit further away from other shops, so you don't exactly have a choice if you have no where else to buy what you need. You should see the prices in my local Co-op, it's like daylight robbery compared to main supermarkets.
    Standard practice with all supermarkets. You are paying for the convenience.
    rent and rates per square foot will usually be more expensive in smaller stores compared to bigger stores, especially out of town ones, and that makes up a large amount of the stores running costs
    I don’t shop in them anymore. Few years ago they were ok but now more expensive than corner newspapers shops!! Disgusting

Even milk is 10p more expensive than main supermarket not just odd items
    It is disgusting, and the fact that they don’t honour their clubcard prices is just plain wrong. Evan the ‘local’ Sainsbury’s, which is a true convenience store ( tiny and long opening hours) price match their nectar prices and you don’t even need to swipe your card to get them. I too have stopped shopping there and they were my to go store before the pandemic when they were still ‘metro’
    How? Simple - people are prepared to pay!
    Are you new to using express stores?
    Loads of people would rather pay more instead of walking a few yards to a big supermarket.
    Curious - would you happen to know the shortest distance between a supermarkets convenience store and either their own or a competitors larger store?
    The bottle of oil will be the same price at the till as online in a large store
    ask the question the other way around
    How are Tesco's getting away with lower prices in their bigger shops!?!?
    They are open pretty much 24/7 so they charge more. They are really expensive for fresh produce, compared to the supermarkets.
    Btw in case you didn't know, service stations charge even more lol
    feels like you were born yesterday.
    If people buy products put the price up. If they don't reduce. Find the agreed price and hold. We govern the prices charged for products some might say
    Old news
    Many people will pay convenience store prices and add deliveroo on top when they only live a minute or two from the shop.
    Tesco really irks me, we have a couple of medium size stores locally that used to be metro and had the same prices as the large stores. 3-4 years back they got rebranded express and the prices flew up. They have normal opening hours and don’t compare at all with the rest of the express stores. Between them and the local Sainsbury’s it’s Waitrose (bigish store) that ironically has the cheapest prices Otherwise both normal Sainsbury’s and Tesco are miles away
    It’s different prices for different post codes…

Some have money, some don’t…
's avatar