Posted 16 January 2024

How does this app still have internet access?

Phone - redmi note 10 pro.
Android 13.
MIUI 14.
I have an app that is somehow beating the blocks, and dialling home for updates. I have removed WiFi and mobile access for normal foreground usage, and turned off the background data. Whenever the app is brought to life it always throws up a system alert saying that it needs access, so one part is blocked. Yet something is still getting through. The only way to block it fully is to disconnect the phone from the internet. If one app can get through then so can others.
At the moment it is a rolling ad at the bottom that is getting fulfilled. But my concern is how are the permissions restrictions being sidestepped?
Community Updates
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Try using netguard app and block it there.
    Author
    Sorted !!
    I installed Netguard, but it only offered an easier access to turning on/off the access to the internet for the app, which I had already done in Settings. It also wanted to run its own VPN, but I am running one already.
    However, it did tell me that the app was using Play Services, which according to the blurb for PS was to allow for automatic updates of app etc. So I disabled that, restarted the Sudoku app, and no rolling and bar. So the app designer or Google is abusing a facility. Getting fresh ads is not "updating", so at least I know where the problem is. Now I just need to rebuild the app so it can't use Play Services. Hopefully Lucky Patcher will do that
    Want to beat this - get an iphone.

Think I would rather have a virus
    Have you tried the same app on a different phone / android version.
    Was it Grindr?
    I assume that app has been causing you problems too then?
's avatar