Posted 2 days ago

Induction Hobs

I'm looking at changing over from gas to induction mainly for ease of cleaning, but I don't want to then have another set of problems with scratches and cracks and it turning off with a few drips.

How have you found moving over, and what do you recommend looking for -and avoiding for that matter!

Thank you very much
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The only thing I miss about my old gas hob is being able to get stuck in with the frying pan when cooking.

If you think of things that need a toss (stir fry / pancakes etc) you can't batter anything without it potentially scratching the glass.

Other than that I think they're great.
    Ours is 18 years old and not a scratch in sight. We are not precious about stuff and our then 4 year old started to learn to cook on it. It's still as good now as it ever was. It's a Siemens.
    We're aiming to move from gas to induction for our next kitchen refit. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the power requirements. In our case we know already that our kitchen wiring is only suitable for one decent sized appliance, so it's looking after our electric oven. If we add an induction hob of 'decent' capacity (IE not a lower power 2 burner unit) then we need to run a new feed.

That's not an issue for us because we're doing the whole kitchen, but if you're looking at just switching the hob, check what you have and whether it can be powered safely.
    I am absolutely sold on induction; I was a gas fan but when I moved house there was a lousy ceramic hob installed. got a cheap (but good) refurb induction hob as a stop gap until a planned revamp where I would switch to gas but I'm now more than happy to keep the induction.

Only real issues as stated above are that you can't really flick a frying pan around like you would on gas as obviously as soon as you take it off the hob the heat cuts.

I'm a couple of years in now with mine and no scratches to speak of, obviously you do need to be careful though. It does get wiped down after each use (and dried off with a microfibre cloth else it gets water marks) and gets a thorough clean every week.

The only thing I would recommend - and this would apply to all electric hobs really - is looking carefully at the controls. Obviously with gas you have a knob for each burner. A lot of electric/induction you would either have just +/- buttons either for each individual burner or even just one set and having to press another button to select which burner you're controlling which is a complete nightmare when you're trying to control a couple of pans. The one I went for has separate controls for each and also rather than just +/- it is a 1-9 scale so you can just press roughly where you want to get that power rather than repeatedly jabbing at the buttons to get where you want. I can't recommend that enough, it is SO much easier.
    Author
    What's your model please, and did it have a good warranty?
    Have been using these for about 3 months on our induction hob and they have prevented scratching without any detrimental effect on the cooking. It does state that they cannot be used with the power boost function which enables a pan of water to be boiled quickly.
    We went from gas to induction hob with no issues, other than needing to replace a couple of pans that didn't work on induction hobs.
    I would never go back to gas after making the switch a couple of years back to induction as everyone else has commented though….always clean after each use…it’s a must!
    has mentioned the power requirements already above.... but its really important to check out what electric cables you have feeding the area before you buy a hob. Unless youve got a gas oven your gas pipe is now redundant but youve got a oven and hob now both using electric. Its possible you may have to run new cable depending on what your fitting.

From memory you can have some lower power induction hobs that can be fed off a normal 2.5mm twin and earth ring main circuit......but most of the larger power hobs probably need a dedicated cable.

If you tot up the power outputs of each of the 4 rings and think how many of those are you likely to be using simultaneously. You may need an electrician to help you with what power hob you can go up to based on your existing or newly installed cabling.
    52514356-MXR30.jpgJust be more careful than me if you're retiling...
's avatar