Posted 9 March 2024

Is this EU plug adapter safe?

hey all!

Bought a 550W appliance on Amazon UK. Didn't say it anywhere but it came with an EU plug, and the adapter below.

I remember seeing somewhere on here that certain adapters are really bad and should be avoided for safety reasons. Is this type one of them?

4309256-r8mrv.jpg
If so, should I just chuck it? Any suggestions on where to get a cheap decent adapter for a 550W appliance please? Not sure if the generic ones I see around are suitable. Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

26 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Looks like the type with no fuse & no shutters so best avoided.

Probably use something similar to
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…2Z/
    shifted directly by Amazon - but fit your own 3A (three amps) fuse
    or
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…JD/
    but note the supplier should have provided option with UK plug fitted, unless you delib ordered Euro version.
    Author
    Thank you for the response! Glad I didn't give it a try then. I thought I remembered these adapters being dodgy but wasn't certain.

I ordered it from UK Amazon but from a third party seller (dispatched by Amazon) I expected a UK plug and it doesn't say anywhere it isn't but looking at the product page now there is a video that shows the 2 pin plug so not sure I have much of a case.

Thanks for the link. I'm a bit of a dummy with this stuff, why would I need to fit my own fuse? Thanks
    These are super dangerous. You can plug things in the wrong way, or even push fingers/tools into live pins too since there’s no safety shutters there.

Buy yourself an adaptor from any UK retailer and it should be up to UK standards.

Just make sure it’s not a shaver one, but a proper EU compatible one capable of handling more powerful appliances safely.
    Author
    Thanks for confirming, I worried about that! I know being on Amazon doesn't automatically mean you can trust it but I did expect better for a product that runs at quite a high wattage and isn't even cheap!

Is there anything specific to watch out for to know I haven't picked up a shaver one? I do have some adapters at home but no clue if they're just fit shavers or rated higher. Some of them don't seem to have anything written on them to suggest
    I get these ones amazon.co.uk/gp/…NY/
    I often find that I have other EU devices so figure using less sockets the better, and try to organize them so I can use these instead. Hope that's some help to you
    Yeah - that is often referred to as a "deathdaptor" as it exposes both the live & neutral and using it circumvents all the safety features built in to "official" UK sockets
    Author
    Wow, I actually got one with I think a phone charger some time back that I used a lot
    Thankfully no issues but once I learned of these adapters I've no intention to use more!
    I would ask Amazon for a refund.

Looks like that adaptor has no fuse, which would make it neither safe to use, nor legal to sell in the UK. Appliances MUST be supplied with a UK approved fused plug.

I doubt that adaptors receptacles will make a very good connection to the plug pins either. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks. Amazon will probably let me return for a refund but I got a decent price. It was just an electric air duster.
    I didn't know appliances had to be sold with a UK plug honestly. It's a third party seller but dispatched by Amazon
    You don't need an adapter - just lop the existing plug off, and fit a (properly fused) British one.
    This
    Just return it.
    Which EU plug? There are several and even the earthed ones could be described as 2 pin. You certainly don't want to use an unearthed adaptor, like the ones linked so far, with an earthed plug.
    Author
    Hmm, I'm not sure. I'll look into this and see if I can figure it out
    Does seem like the adapter is a no no
    Pound shops , Dunelm,etc. do a 'British Visitor Adaptor' that's fused . Like this mxwholesale.co.uk/pro…wcB (edited)
    Author
    Are these rated find for 550W? I thought the ones in pound shops were generally for low wattage devices
    Chop it off and put a proper plug on it. You are not getting it grounded with that adapter.
    52358085-2luwJ.jpg
    Author
    Thanks. To be honest I've never replaced a plug like that before. Don't want to end up doing something stupid while also voiding the warranty
    Does the mains cable (cross-section) appear oval or circular?
    Author
    It's a fiat cable if that's what you mean
    It's circular where it connects to the device

Here's the item for reference:
    amzn.eu/d/4…jpX (edited)
    Author
    Quick update on this. Contacted the seller relaying some of the information here.

Another odd thing I mentioned is that the seal for the box was broken, but Amazon didn't put it in any packaging, just slapped the label on the product box so who knows what caused that.

Anyway, they refunded me in full without the need to return so happy enough outcome thanks!

Also don't know if they're trying to tell me that it should have come with a UK plug, bit unclear messaging
    Good outcome.
's avatar