Posted 29 February 2020

Just eat didn't deliver food and refuse to refund - is this normal for them?

I placed an order from Just Eat today and the food was never delivered. It was from a restaurant that Just Eat manages the delivery for.

When the driver left the restaurant, I carefully monitored the driver's location on the GPS tracking. As the driver came close, my wife went outside to intercept the driver so that he wouldn't ring the doorbell (which might wake our baby). My wife waited and no driver arrived, so she came back inside. The order had been registered on the Just Eat system as having been "delivered" - but it wasn't.

When I spoke to customer service, I was told that "the order was marked as delivered, this means, it was delivered to you successfully" and "I am afraid that we can't process a refund for you since our delivery partner confirmed that it was delivered." I asked to speak to a manager who said the same thing.

Is this type of situation normal with Just Eat? Has anyone else had the same experience?
Community Updates
Just Eat aims to deliver quickly when you order with them through one of their many partner restaurants and takeaways. You can enjoy all your favourite foods, from pizza or burritos, KFC to McDonald's, but when your order doesn't arrive as planned it can be disappointing and leave you wondering what next.

Well, here is what to do if your Just Eat order doesn't arrive:

1. Double check you have properly placed your order, do you have a confirmation email, have you entered the right address. Maybe your order is just a little late. Mistakes are easy to make so it is best to just check over everything first.

2. Ultimately, once the order has been passed onto the restaurant it is out of Just Eat's hands and so the responsibility passes to the restaurant.

3. Delivery usually takes 45-60 minutes from placing an order to the delivery arriving at your door.

4. Just Eat states that it is not responsible for delivery times therefore if you're Just Eat order never arrived you should first contact the restaurant from whom you ordered to claim a refund or discuss a re-delivery.

5. If the restaurant refuses to either refund your order or send it out for delivery again then you can contact Just Eat's customer services.

6. You can use the live chat function to contact Just Eat or call them, make sure to include your order number

7. However, you must remember that according to Just Eat's terms and conditions, the only way to get a refund is through the restaurant from whom you ordered your food.

8. In some circumstances Just Eat may offer you a credit voucher once you have contacted their customer services.

50703_1.jpg

Do Just Eat give refunds?

No, Just Eat is just an intermediary between you and the restaurant so it doesn't give out refunds itself.

If you're wondering how to get a Just Eat refund, the answer is that you will have to contact the restaurant directly.

However, it is important to remember that if you pay with PayPal, your transactions are protected and you can claim a refund via PayPal.

Another clever way to ensure you don't pay for food that doesn't arrive is to pay in cash upon delivery, that way the restaurant can't take your money before you have received what you paid for.

What is Just Eat's refund policy?

Just Eat do not offer refunds, you must contact the restaurant directly. In some circumstances, Just Eat may offer you a credit voucher, but you must first get in contact with the restaurant before getting in contact with Just Eat's customer service.

Do Just Eat refund missing items?

Just Eat notably downright refuse to give refunds for missing items, claiming that this is the responsibility of the restaurant to compensate customers. But if you are persistent enough you may be given a credit voucher for the missing items by Just Eat but this may take a lot of back and forth with their customer services.

How to use Just Eat refund credit?

If you are given a Just Eat refund in the form of credit vouchers, it is simple to use. Here is how:

Sign in to your Just Eat account. Click 'account credit' and type in the voucher. Then the code should be added to your account and you will receive a 'paycode activated' message. When it comes to placing your next order make sure you choose to pay from your account on the payment page.

Why won't Just Eat refund me?

Usually, Just Eat refunds given by the restaurants you ordered from taking 2-14 days, this means that whether you paid by Google Pay, Apple Pay, PayPal or credit or debit cards, you must wait up to two weeks before the money will be deposited into your account. If you have been waiting longer than this then the best way to resolve the issue is to contact the restaurant's customer service.

How to raise a complaint at Just Eat?

Simply contact Just Eat's customer service by using the live chat or calling their contact number.
New Comment

47 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    deleted2515629/02/2020 08:33

What scumbag would take someone else's food, I'd have phoned the restaurant …What scumbag would take someone else's food, I'd have phoned the restaurant direct too

I agree I have had people knock on our door and try and give us free takeaway before but have always said that it wasn't ours. Too many dishonest people in society I'm afraid.
    I don’t understand why justeat doesn’t implement a 4-6digit code for accepting deliveries so the driver and customer can confirm the code to avoid issues like this .
    It’s very easy for the delivery drivers to make mistake and drop off food at wrong address for paid orders as anyone can accept it
    Btw the op needs to contact the restaurant directly and explain the situation and see what they can offer regarding this issue . Justeat don’t care about customer satisfaction , they simply want the commission from every order. (edited)
    Author
    deleted254643006/08/2020 20:34

Exactly same thing happened to me as well last week!! The just eat "investi …Exactly same thing happened to me as well last week!! The just eat "investigation" team implied in their email that I was scamming them!! They don't even reply to emails after passing their verdict. Someone should take them to court!! And they should improve their procedures.

In the end, I got annoyed at Just Eat's responses and took them to small claims court. They refunded the food and the court fees.

Since then, I have never ordered with Just Eat again. This is the worst experience I had with them, but they generally screw you over when anything goes wrong.
    Contact the place you ordered the food from first and say it wasnt delivered
    I ordered before and food took over 2hours to arrive was £30 worth of food and the smallest cold portions arrived i took images and emailed just eat then they gave me a refund few weeks later found out the restaurants food hygiene rating was a 1
    Had this happen to me once from a place I'd never used before (very late, only place open!) Takeaway shop claimed the driver delivered it. Told them I'd happily send them and Just Eat the CCTV footage. They quickly offered to deliver it again or refund me.

Opted for a refund, god knows what they'd have done to the food if I got it redelivered!
    What scumbag would take someone else's food, I'd have phoned the restaurant direct too
    Author
    One thing to mention is that I think this order was delivered by the just eat delivery service, so I don't think the restaurant was involved.

deleted7595329/02/2020 07:56

Comment deleted

Gosh it seems like making a large order is dangerous stuff.

Tbh from looking at the GPS tracking I think the guy hit the delivered button as soon as he got close, so I don't think he had delivered the item.
    If you've paid by card sounds as if he's got the wrong address and someone has got a free meal.
    Check your delivery address is correct and always pay by cash.
    Doubt the restaurant will refund you incase you're one of these chancers trying to score 2 meals for the price of 1. Not worth the delivery guy possibly losing his job for a mistake and probably under £20 worth of food.
    Continue ordering from there at your own risk or don't. (edited)
    Just this week an order was made at work, upon delivery there were 2 extra bags of food to which we told the driver it wasn't for us. His response:

"I'm not going to take it back now, just eat it".
    I recently had a similar experience. Justeat were adamant my food was delivered .
    It might well have been but NOT to me. I disputed and they declined .
    But when i asked my account closed and data deleted (you can't do in app or site) they back tracked offered a refund and £10 on top.
    I am more concerned about actions and principle so told them where to shove it .
    Incidently if they use own drivers and alterations will have to go through justeat and you'll have no option to pay cash. Thus your screwed. Avoid justeat as if plague
    Their policy seems to be to refuse refund if the driver marked the food as delivered. So the driver can deliver your food to their stomach, tap the delivered button and get a free meal out of you.

Happened to us just now. We're under 10 minutes from KFC, waited an hour AFTER the driver collected our order - no tracking connection from them - just a marker which places them 5 miles out of the way. Then after an hour it gets marked as delivered, but no sign of food, which would be cold by then anyway. Just Eat's customer service is non-existent and because their system says delivered, that's what they assume happened.

(I'm guessing they switched their phone to airplane mode, collected, marked it as delivered, ate, it, then turned off airplane mode, knowing Just Eat will refuse to refund or follow it up because we would only try to chase our order once it says delivered when it's not)
    My sis ordered from kfc last night sn driver as sent to wrong address so someone got a free 27pound meal iv been intouch we just eat for her they said it will take up to 48 hours iv been ringing kfc up but no answer annoying bet be hard to get a refund really we it saying delivered better to pay by cash they would soon find right address then
    Totally different, when we have ordered when out and haven’t got back in time eg an extra pint or couldn’t get taxi the delivery has been hanging on the door handle. Happened a few times from different places. Normally late at night and a quiet street..
    Phone the place you ordered from and kick up with them. It's their fault. I dont think the delivery driver will lose their job over it as mistakes happen but it is the delivery drivers fault in the first place. I have had it happen to me once through hungry house (pretty sure its just eat now) and I contacted the chinese place I ordered from and they apologised and re-sent the order to me.
    Is the contract with just eat or the restaurant?

Pretty shocked that's the response, there's no way I would just it there, but depends how much energy you want to put into it I guess.
    If you can track your driver on the app it means that it is a Just Eat or third party delivery company delivering. The driver probably just delivered to the wrong place by mistake. Keep fighting your case with just eat. The reason it is taking so long is because they may be forwarding to the third party delivery company.
    Same thing happened to me . I don't use just eat any more (they are just making money for being the middle man anyway) .
    Now order direct from takeaways
    thesimpsons_uk29/02/2020 15:43

Just this week an order was made at work, upon delivery there were 2 extra …Just this week an order was made at work, upon delivery there were 2 extra bags of food to which we told the driver it wasn't for us. His response:"I'm not going to take it back now, just eat it".

Did you eat it?
    Author
    thesimpsons_uk29/02/2020 15:43

Just this week an order was made at work, upon delivery there were 2 extra …Just this week an order was made at work, upon delivery there were 2 extra bags of food to which we told the driver it wasn't for us. His response:"I'm not going to take it back now, just eat it".

Wow that's really bad. Someone else probably got a delivered notification without receiving any food
    Exactly same thing happened to me as well last week!! The just eat "investigation" team implied in their email that I was scamming them!! They don't even reply to emails after passing their verdict. Someone should take them to court!! And they should improve their procedures.
    Would love to know law regarding JE wriggling out of responsibility, saying just middle-man / payment agent?
    Lucky to get refund if restaurant agrees (or token voucher)

I go in person these days and my money equals food on the spot (less kerfuffle)
    I have just had the exact same experience on 18 October 2020 through just eats since their ‘delivery partner’ marked it as delivered. Once it has gone through their backend team they say there is nothing they can. I have requested that this be escalated further and will receive a call within 24 hours. Is there anything that can be done to ensure I get my refund? I find it unacceptable that I’ve paid for a service and an order and received nothing for it (I had to order the same meal afterwards and get it from Deliveroo instead which delivered the order with no issue).

I got notified on the just eat app that it was ‘delivered’ which I thought was strange as the doorbell did not ring and the door did not knock, there was no attempt form the delivery man to contact me to say there was an issue with the order.
    I had exactly the same problem 24/10/2020! They failed to deliver my food and I have to reorder exactly the same thing from deliveroo! I called just-eat and they opened an investigation, today 25/10/2020, they told me they 'investigated' and the food has been delivered! For sure, just-eat did not deliver to me and refuse to give me a refund. What a cheating company, I am going to switch to deliveroo or uber-eat, and get rid of just-eat completely! I have been used just-eat for many years, and I can see how their stuff getting irresponsive and ruder recently. It started to became a cheating company, please avoid just-eat at all costs!
    Author
    deleted258206625/10/2020 19:52

I had exactly the same problem 24/10/2020! They failed to deliver my food a …I had exactly the same problem 24/10/2020! They failed to deliver my food and I have to reorder exactly the same thing from deliveroo! I called just-eat and they opened an investigation, today 25/10/2020, they told me they 'investigated' and the food has been delivered! For sure, just-eat did not deliver to me and refuse to give me a refund. What a cheating company, I am going to switch to deliveroo or uber-eat, and get rid of just-eat completely! I have been used just-eat for many years, and I can see how their stuff getting irresponsive and ruder recently. It started to became a cheating company, please avoid just-eat at all costs!

deleted258039422/10/2020 08:53

I have just had the exact same experience on 18 October 2020 through just e …I have just had the exact same experience on 18 October 2020 through just eats since their ‘delivery partner’ marked it as delivered. Once it has gone through their backend team they say there is nothing they can. I have requested that this be escalated further and will receive a call within 24 hours. Is there anything that can be done to ensure I get my refund? I find it unacceptable that I’ve paid for a service and an order and received nothing for it (I had to order the same meal afterwards and get it from Deliveroo instead which delivered the order with no issue).I got notified on the just eat app that it was ‘delivered’ which I thought was strange as the doorbell did not ring and the door did not knock, there was no attempt form the delivery man to contact me to say there was an issue with the order.

Just file a small claims court case - they refunded my order and all court fees. It takes a few mins online.

Also, never use Just Eat - they have the worst customer service out of the delivery platforms. I've never ordered with them again since this happened.
    How can I make a claim
    Hi, I had a similar experience with just eat.
    Email their customer service team and play hell with them.
    The restaraunt marled as delivered and supplied no evidence of this, was only given a refund and offered a £20 voucher when i had to dig fir evidence this wasnt the case but have taken it further after the restaraunt in question showered me with abuse.
    Email - info@just-eat.co.uk with all relevant info.
    pkchips27/10/2020 10:41

Just file a small claims court case - they refunded my order and all court …Just file a small claims court case - they refunded my order and all court fees. It takes a few mins online.Also, never use Just Eat - they have the worst customer service out of the delivery platforms. I've never ordered with them again since this happened.

What evidence did you need to provide?
    deleted213717830/11/2020 21:00

A photo of them standing by the front door waiting and a photo of the empty plates with no food on at the table
    Ordered some food via the Just Eat app and PayPal, it was cold to the touch on arrival, so I refused to accept it. I called the restaurant who told me that they got the order back and they will give me a full refund but Just Eat need to initiate it.... so I need to talk to them first.

Just Eats customer service phone number will cut off sooner or later or tell you to go to the website. So went via the web chat, with replies from customer service every 3-5-7mins.

Just Eat refused to give me a full refund and said their system will only allow a 50% refund. I cant believe they can get away with this, they have taken money on a service that wasn't provided. I stayed in the chat but the person left saying there was nothing they could do.

From Twitter this is very common. "system will only allow a 50% refund!"
    Author
    Jakeway05/12/2020 18:51

Ordered some food via the Just Eat app and PayPal, it was cold to the touch …Ordered some food via the Just Eat app and PayPal, it was cold to the touch on arrival, so I refused to accept it. I called the restaurant who told me that they got the order back and they will give me a full refund but Just Eat need to initiate it.... so I need to talk to them first.Just Eats customer service phone number will cut off sooner or later or tell you to go to the website. So went via the web chat, with replies from customer service every 3-5-7mins. Just Eat refused to give me a full refund and said their system will only allow a 50% refund. I cant believe they can get away with this, they have taken money on a service that wasn't provided. I stayed in the chat but the person left saying there was nothing they could do. From Twitter this is very common. "system will only allow a 50% refund!"

Just never order from Just Eat - a company with service that bad deserves to go bust.

deleted213717830/11/2020 21:00

They backed off as soon as I filed the case, so didn't have to provide any evidence. To be honest, I would imagine the onus of evidence would be on them to show that the food was actually delivered.
    I am still fighting this... A different web chat rep has said said "Our system only allows us to refund for food".

Well, someone there is lying then eh? Apparently the service charge and delivery is agreed with the partners and it would not be possible to refund that.

What bothers me is that the restaurant was fine and were willing to give me a full refund. The man in the middle is just screwing us both over. I am never using Just Eat again.
    I've had the same thing happen to me today, Just Eat just didn't want to know. I've got CCTV so I said to them no one has delivered the food I have proof.
    I spoke to the restaurant direct and they were good about it but Just Eat's attitude was terrible
    I just had this happen to me. I placed an order with Just Eat for a Mcdonalds breakfast and it never arrived. I called and was told they delivered. I spoke with Just Eat and they told me it would take 48h to receive an email and possible refund. The 'investigation team' told me exactly what Mcdonalds did, that the order had been delivered so they cannot give me a refund.

I didn't spend much at all. But now its about the principle. I'm not paying for a delivery guy to have a nice free breakfast.

Can someone direct me towards the small claims court process and links?

As if!!!
    Apparently this has become a common issue especially in London where just eat use stuart to do a lot of deliverys. Any issues with your food and they don't wish to claim responsibly.

I ordered food from a Chinese restaurant, I had a missing important item. Just eat to part refund on that item told me it was the restaurant responsibilty, you phone them and they tell you its just eats responsibility to refund and thus back and forth.

Then it happenes again. Ordered from mcdonald's, food was almost 2 hours late and freezing cold and unbeatable. Complained to just eat, they told me to phone mcdonald's. Now, has anyone tried to phone a big chain restaurant and got an answer???

It's pointless to try and get a refund from them, I think it's best to contact trading standards. Because there no doubt they are breaking rules of the consumer rights act 2015 and it definitely needs public attention.
    Ima say right now, straight up and honest, your money is worth more than that driver's job, even if it's just a 5er, if your delivery address is set correctly. These people saying it's not worth making the driver lose their job over under £20 of food for a mistake? Erm no? They should be reading the address and double checking it before dropping off the food, this is 100% the driver's fault if the address is set correctly and as such SHOULD lose their bloody job for screwing up like this. Maybe when they find their next job, they'll pay more attention to what they're doing instead of most likely dropping off drugs on the side between deliveries.
    Cloe29/02/2020 07:57

If you've paid by card sounds as if he's got the wrong address and someone …If you've paid by card sounds as if he's got the wrong address and someone has got a free meal.Check your delivery address is correct and always pay by cash.Doubt the restaurant will refund you incase you're one of these chancers trying to score 2 meals for the price of 1. Not worth the delivery guy possibly losing his job for a mistake and probably under £20 worth of food.Continue ordering from there at your own risk or don't.

AS HE SHOULD! He wasn't paying attention, no one else gets to keep their job when they're not doing it properly, why should the delivery driver?
    You're the one that needs to get real and open your eyes....the person puts the correct address and the food doesn't arrive, that is the driver's fault, why should they get full pay and any customer lose money because of that?
    Cloe29/02/2020 07:57

If you've paid by card sounds as if he's got the wrong address and someone …If you've paid by card sounds as if he's got the wrong address and someone has got a free meal.Check your delivery address is correct and always pay by cash.Doubt the restaurant will refund you incase you're one of these chancers trying to score 2 meals for the price of 1. Not worth the delivery guy possibly losing his job for a mistake and probably under £20 worth of food.Continue ordering from there at your own risk or don't.

What kind of response was that . You pay u should get. If i don't then i will duck the resturant over double. I recieved cold food from a takeaway response made no sense maybe driver had another delivery first. How is that a valid reaspn lol everyone be getting cold food if that's the kind of excuse e they make. For this i will do them out of double. PayPal didn't help i should have lied said didnt recieve. I wait a few weeks and duck them some how.
    I just dealt with justeat.
    The restaurant didn't deliver my order and I requested a refund and the restaurant said no it needs to be done via Justeat. And I made a dispute and they have declined me.
    They have effectively stolen my money. I cannot believe the scam Just eat is. I don't know how to go about this. There may be millions of just eat users who've been scammed like this. It's totally immoral I think. Does anyone have any suggestions to assist me in tackling this issue.
's avatar