Posted 2 days ago

Laptop Advice 400£ budget

My Mrs laptop battery deteriorate completely... laptop is still on warranty then will get my money back from Costco but the device is not more on sale cannot just swap it and do not want a used device.

The old one was : Lenovo slim 7, amd ryzen 5, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, 14 inch laptop, 82a20013uk

She loved it because battery life was brilliant and it was super light.

She use it for taking notes, word, Excel PowerPoint not an IT Course doesn't need to be super strong I would appreciate advice if anyone knows great battery life (8-10h on university constant use without charging ) and very light device. I'm looking for a brand new in the budget.
Thank you
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Replacing the battery on the Lenovo slim 7 looks rather easy.

After taking the back cover off the laptop, you just unscrew the old battery then disconnect it from the power connector, then replace it.

Here's a tutorial video.

Author
    Never did anything like that to be honest.

Any advise about right screwdriver, guessing it's need to be one of the precision ones 👌
    If You got a link for decent set I would appreciate that, will try to look for battery replacement on ebay just in case, thanks. (edited)
    Hi, i just wanted to check that you are looking for a brand new laptop within a £400 budget? This is fine, and I can give some guidance, but obviously it wont be in the same category as a Lenovo Slim 7, which is a £1000+ laptop. I'd probably look at Dell to begin with.
    Do to Dell's website dell.com/en-uk/
    And look for Inspiron laptops, and then sort by price. At the £400 budget i'd chose a Ryzen over an Intel Core i3 CPU.
    Again, to be clear, this will be a worse laptop than the Slim 7.
    Check your battery health
    The laptop came out 4 years ago. When did you buy it? Presumably it is within 2 years?

All batteries degrade, have you checked the current capacity?
    uk.pcmag.com/bat…-10
    Author
    Yes bought it within 2 years but battery deteriorate horribly from holding 15hours without issues to 3h barely
    Are you sure the battery is covered? As a quick look on Costco says consumables like batteries are not covered under warranty, which is pretty standard with most places.

I would check with them first of all before buying a new one.
's avatar