Posted 19 May 2022

Loft boarding bearers/loft legs/loftzone

Hello! want to get my loft boarded and had couple of traders come in with quotes. some do 100mm bearers/some 175mm loft legs/some loft zone system.

what are the advantages/disadvantages? maybe from own experience?

bearers are cheaper but I'm thinking about insulation compression and no air circulation beneath the floor.

loft legs I got told can be used only with a cheaper tinner floor boarding and they would sag?

loft zone is the most expensive.

Cristian
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    YouAreMySolskjaer19/05/2022 19:36

Just out of interest how much were the quotes?

50 per sqm bearers, 63 per sqm loft legs, 75 per sqm loftzone. All different companies

Not doing the loft myself, having a company do it. Just wondering what would be best (edited)
    I did mine with stilts. They support as much weight as I put on them without sagging, but it is a horrible job to do. It isn't difficult by any manner of means, and easily within the remit of anyone with a modicum of diy experience, but involves a lot of rooting around in the insulation looking for joists.
    Personally if there is little room to get materials into your loft area, and move about with them once up there I'd use stilts and small length boards (these usually come in a pack of three). If however space isn't an issue then I'd use 2x3 bearers (can be doubled up to increase height as necessary), as quicker to instal. As long as you don't squash the insulation too much or block any vent area at eaves level you should be fine.
    Have a look at the routing of the wiring and coax up there, as now might be the time to tidy or replace it before you bury it.
    Did mine with loft legs and an impact driver, using T&G chipboard floor panels. Quick and easy and the boards are stronger than I thought they'd be.
    I’ve had mine done with stilts, no problem at all.
    Just out of interest how much were the quotes?
's avatar