Posted 1 day ago

Looking for recommendations for a new router

I'm looking to buy a new router and grateful for any recommendations.

I’ve had a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 for I guess about 5+ years and its now struggling with the number of devices I have – currently around 65 at peak, mostly smart switches etc. Other than that the Netgear has been very reliable and provided good wifi coverage.

I’m looking at something that can handle around 100+ connected devices with similar wifi coverage to my existing Netgear. I have external wifi cctv cameras so need a decent range.

My quick search has highlighted the TP-Link AX72 and AX73 as the cheapest (£100 and £150 respectively) but I’ve no previous experience with TP-Link routers so would appreciate any comments.

My ISP is 3 mobile – using a 5G router (in a 4G area) with download speeds of around 60Mbps (which is fine for me).

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Depending on your budget, I would recommend Asus GT6000 or Ax86
    Would never touch Asus again. Had three and all died, luckily just before the warrenty expired and Amazon refunded in full.

Would go tp-link all the way.
    Go down the Ubiquiti route, something like a UDR would be perfect (albeit difficult to get hold of currently!), or a UCG with an AP or two.

The interface is MUCH better than anything consumer!