Posted 2 days ago

Mattress topper that could double as a crappy mattress?

Hi, I’m currently sleeping in my 3 year old sons room and my airbed is dead and I don’t think I trust buying another one 

His single bed is a waterproof one that is fairly comfy but the top isn’t at all plush, so I’m thinking the best solution is to get him a nice topper for his bed that I can yoink for the nights I sleep in with him.

Can anyone please recommend a good one that’s nice and thick? Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Not exactly what you’ve asked for but I slept on one of these for almost 2 years, amazon.co.uk/gp/…h=1
    put a folded double or kingsize duvet on it for a bit of cheap padding.

my reason for using it was that grandads profile bed was in the lounge and I needed to be in the same room incase he pulled his cpap mask off. Needless to say saved up enough and we are both now in bedrooms rather than the lounge. Still have the camping bed as it’s not easy to find one that takes 16.5 stone.
    Author
    Thanks so much! Glad you have a better setup now, but the camping bed doesn't seem like a bad option, especially since it folds up nicely too. Will have a think about it tomorrow and maybe grab one
    The only mattress topper that I can think of that would anywhere near do the job you want it for is a memory foam one. You can get cheap ones without a cover from places like eBay.
    Author
    Thanks! Good shout on a memory foam one
    I have a SU SUBRTEX 3 Inch Thick memory foam topper. They are available in all bed sizes and it’s very comfortable.
    Author
    Thanks! Looks good. Will have to measure but looks like it’s quite nice and thick 
    I don't think this is a good idea, it'll be disruptive to keep changing the childs mattress, they'll get used to it then be back to something else and vice versa. A single air bed is under a tenner, I'd just get another. (edited)
    Author
    Thank you! It’s more that I’ll likely use it for a few months then never again, so thought he could have the topper afterwards. But yeah you’re right probably better to get something else. Have got some Shoe Goo arriving later so hopefully I can actually fix the mattress up this time
    Sorry, I've read this a few times and I can't work it out.

Do you want a topper for your son's bed that he can sleep on but for the days you sleep in his room, in which case it will be your mattress? Where will he be when this happens?

Have you got enough room for a single mattress? Ikea do very reasonable and portable ones.
    Author
    Thanks! Sorry it wasn’t very clear. My son has a single bed that could do with a topper, and I have a single airbed with a hole in it that I’ve been unable to fix  
     I thought buying a thick topper for him, could also double as a temporary mattress for me (not going to be sleeping in his room for much longer)

Definitely intrigued by a portable mattress but can’t see anything on the IKEA site. Reluctant to buy a proper spare mattress because we already have two sofa beds (which won’t fit in my sons room) and an additional single mattress (that my wife is using in our 1 year olds room) 
's avatar