Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 25 May 2014

Need to hang a HEAVY mirror in plasterboard wall...

Best/ strongest fixings for very heavy mirror to go over fireplace into plasterboard wall.
Can't go into the studs.
Who has experience of using anchor bolts, and is that 'tool' to fit them really necessary?
What's the best and securest fixings to use?
Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

30 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    elliott1982

kash I think your giving incorrect advice. I think the op would know how … kash I think your giving incorrect advice. I think the op would know how to use an anchor but the fact is its not the right way of doing it. same goes for fixing kitchen units it would be funny if it wasnt dangerous.

i am just telling out of experience being in the building trade for 20yrs. if thats giving bad advice then i would expect all my customers calling me with dangerous work, but like i said i never had a call back regarding hollow wall anchors. But its advice and thats how i would do it being me. How do u think people hang mirrors and heavy objects to walls. i never come across anyone in the trade who has decided to cut a hole in the wall, fitted a 4 by 2 the plastered it up to hang a mirror. by all means if the op wants to do this then do so but i just giving my opinion.
    They actually do fixing for plaster board I've been using these professionally for many years without problems. They are expensive but do a good job, and can be removed. They are also available in smaller quantities from the usually hardware store.
    screwfix.com/p/f…347
    Get the fixings for a big TV onto a plasterboard wall. Screwfix and B&M do them.

Oh, ...........and you are the fairest of them all.
    You will need some Spring Toggles. I had to use them when hanging my tv onto my plasterboard wall.

screwfix.com/c/s…118
    (edited)
    Fic

You will need some Spring Toggles. I had to use them when hanging my tv … You will need some Spring Toggles. I had to use them when hanging my tv onto my plasterboard wall. http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/spring-toggle/cat840118

Really does depend on the weight of the mirror, because the toggle is only as strong as the plasterboard, which is not really that strong.
    hollow wall anchors will be fine. I use them all the time to fix radiators and kitchen unit to plasterboard which are alot heavier. Never had to go back anywhere due to them falling off.
    screwfix.com/p/h…792
    you can use gold plated super duper anchors but I wouldnt trust em with people below let alone children, or if it could be moved by anyone either.

personaly I would find the stud on either side should be about 400-600 apart and run some 4"x2" inbetween and fix to that. you'll then have timber to refit your plasterboard to and plaster patch.
    kash2013

hollow wall anchors will be fine. I use them all the time to fix … hollow wall anchors will be fine. I use them all the time to fix radiators and kitchen unit to plasterboard which are alot heavier. Never had to go back anywhere due to them falling off. http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wall-anchor-5-x-52mm-8-16mm-pack-of-10/12229?_requestid=166792

Another thing i forgot to mention is alot houses have plasterboard stuck to solid walls. most likely if its above a fireplace after the plasterboard with a little gap should be a brick or block wall. u can fix into the wall by drilling throught the plasterboard then into the wall and just use a normal wall plug and a long screw.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNFv65-QTPI
    for hollow wall anchors
    kash I think your giving incorrect advice. I think the op would know how to use an anchor but the fact is its not the right way of doing it. same goes for fixing kitchen units it would be funny if it wasnt dangerous.
    kash2013

i am just telling out of experience being in the building trade for … i am just telling out of experience being in the building trade for 20yrs. if thats giving bad advice then i would expect all my customers calling me with dangerous work, but like i said i never had a call back regarding hollow wall anchors. But its advice and thats how i would do it being me. How do u think people hang mirrors and heavy objects to walls. i never come across anyone in the trade who has decided to cut a hole in the wall, fitted a 4 by 2 the plastered it up to hang a mirror. by all means if the op wants to do this then do so but i just giving my opinion.

I wall mounted my microwave with those wall anchors, after ages trying to get them to snap down without spinning around and ruining the board behind them, when i finally got them using an expensive fixing tool, the plasterboard doesn't look very solid, the microwave is too heavy, so how you can fix radiators I don't know. Not the ideal choice though IMO.
    The strongest hollow wall fixing, bar none, is the toggler snap toggle. They are immense. They spread the load over a greater area of board and are super easy to use. Google them. I've used them to put up redicilously heavy things on stud walls.
    PS, the ones in the posts above will all work, the force on the fixings will all be vertical so even a rawl plug would hold a heavy mirror. Its when a fulcrum force pulls on a fixing that you need a really good anchor.

(edited)
    damo1972

They actually do fixing for plaster board I've been using these … They actually do fixing for plaster board I've been using these professionally for many years without problems. They are expensive but do a good job, and can be removed. They are also available in smaller quantities from the usually hardware store.http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-metal-35mm-self-drill-pack-of-100/47347

These are ok, but I have experienced with these if you try to tighten them a little bit too much they just spin, also the screws can't be changed because they are sized for the bit.
    damo1972

They actually do fixing for plaster board I've been using these … They actually do fixing for plaster board I've been using these professionally for many years without problems. They are expensive but do a good job, and can be removed. They are also available in smaller quantities from the usually hardware store.http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-metal-35mm-self-drill-pack-of-100/47347

These are ok, but I have experienced with these if you try to tighten them a little bit too much they just spin, also the screws can't be changed because they are sized for the bit.

I know I am going for a plastic fitting over a metal one, but these are so sturdy, and you can use self tapping screws, you can tighten them right up they just keep on gripping.

21878731-IAyza

aircanman

I wall mounted my microwave with those wall anchors, after ages trying to … I wall mounted my microwave with those wall anchors, after ages trying to get them to snap down without spinning around and ruining the board behind them, when i finally got them using an expensive fixing tool, the plasterboard doesn't look very solid, the microwave is too heavy, so how you can fix radiators I don't know. Not the ideal choice though IMO.

Like what kash says, those wall anchor should be fine, it's because in this case being a mirror it's fixed close to the wall so the force of the weight is easily carried by the anchors. Tho like you not sure i'd trust them to carry the weight of a microwave, you will need to fix wooden battens for that..
    aircanman

These are ok, but I have experienced with these if you try to tighten … These are ok, but I have experienced with these if you try to tighten them a little bit too much they just spin, also the screws can't be changed because they are sized for the bit. I know I am going for a plastic fitting over a metal one, but these are so sturdy, and you can use self tapping screws, you can tighten them right up they just keep on gripping.

if you buy the decent quality ones you don't get that problem,
    Author
    I have ordered the Toggler Snaptoggle fittings from a seller on eBay.
    Seems these fave fab reviews, just not easily available in the uk for some strange reason??
    Author
    craigstephens

The strongest hollow wall fixing, bar none, is the toggler snap toggle. … The strongest hollow wall fixing, bar none, is the toggler snap toggle. They are immense. They spread the load over a greater area of board and are super easy to use. Google them. I've used them to put up redicilously heavy things on stud walls.PS, the ones in the posts above will all work, the force on the fixings will all be vertical so even a rawl plug would hold a heavy mirror. Its when a fulcrum force pulls on a fixing that you need a really good anchor.

Ordered these from eBay.
    Thanks for the advice
    Have a look at GripIt fixings. They are very good and can take a lot of weight on a single plasterboard.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.gripitfixings.co.uk

They can be bought at a few places online but we buy ours at CPC.
    damo1972

I agree, they give a solid fixing. Always my first choice. You can probably buy just a couple from B&Q.
    In regards to the heavy duty fixing plugs, I currently have a property with 100mm of insulated plasterboard infront of a brick & block cavity wall. I need to hang a large 40kg mirror about wall size and a bit concerned that the mirror will rip off plasterboard - I need help! Any recommendations?
    Keenanf

In regards to the heavy duty fixing plugs, I currently have a property … In regards to the heavy duty fixing plugs, I currently have a property with 100mm of insulated plasterboard infront of a brick & block cavity wall. I need to hang a large 40kg mirror about wall size and a bit concerned that the mirror will rip off plasterboard - I need help! Any recommendations?

The hollow wall anchors as suggested.

But don't be a plonker like some and try to use them without the setting tool and as a result make a right mess.
    Keenanf

In regards to the heavy duty fixing plugs, I currently have a property … In regards to the heavy duty fixing plugs, I currently have a property with 100mm of insulated plasterboard infront of a brick & block cavity wall. I need to hang a large 40kg mirror about wall size and a bit concerned that the mirror will rip off plasterboard - I need help! Any recommendations?

40Kg is a lot for a mirror, how big is this mirror, what's it construction and how many screw holes as I assume it's not hung by a chain. Also check how square your wall is, you don't want to break the mirror if your wall is bowed.

You can check weight of the mirror by dullesglassandmirror.com/gla…spx or with scales.
    kester76

40Kg is a lot for a mirror, how big is this mirror, what's it … 40Kg is a lot for a mirror, how big is this mirror, what's it construction and how many screw holes as I assume it's not hung by a chain. Also check how square your wall is, you don't want to break the mirror if your wall is bowed.You can check weight of the mirror by https://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/glass-weight-calculator.aspx or with scales.

The OP may possibly have had the time to fix the mirror by now....;)

andynicol

The OP may possibly have had the time to fix the mirror by now....;)

Not talking to OP but Keenanf, he has resurrected this thread
    kester76

Not talking to OP but Keenanf, he has resurrected this thread

Ah ok, my bad
    elliott1982

you can use gold plated super duper anchors but I wouldnt trust em with … you can use gold plated super duper anchors but I wouldnt trust em with people below let alone children, or if it could be moved by anyone either. personaly I would find the stud on either side should be about 400-600 apart and run some 4"x2" inbetween and fix to that. you'll then have timber to refit your plasterboard to and plaster patch.

4x2 to hang a mirror on .... total overkill!

EliTom
    kash2013

i am just telling out of experience being in the building trade for … i am just telling out of experience being in the building trade for 20yrs. if thats giving bad advice then i would expect all my customers calling me with dangerous work, but like i said i never had a call back regarding hollow wall anchors. But its advice and thats how i would do it being me. How do u think people hang mirrors and heavy objects to walls. i never come across anyone in the trade who has decided to cut a hole in the wall, fitted a 4 by 2 the plastered it up to hang a mirror. by all means if the op wants to do this then do so but i just giving my opinion.

totally agree with screwfix wall anchors mentioned above

EliTom
    andynicol

Ah ok, my bad

40Kg mirror is pretty big, unless it's a antique. I find antique mirrors spooky, rather not chance a haunted one, always buy new or newish
    My plasterboard wall has been fitted oiver a brick fireplace , we gave tried toggle screws etc but it won't go through the brick so I'm left with a hole in my wall .
's avatar