Posted 9 November 2012

Office chair castors messing up the carpet?

I've just had a new carpet fitted in the office, aside from general wear and tear where the office chair was it has churned up the carpet and make a mess of it. I obviously don't want it to happen to the new carpet so is there anything to prevent the castors damaging the carpet?
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    sit on the floor
    Castor chairs always damage flooring quickly because they exert high pressure and people shuffle about all the time, with their feet and the chair. This is why a lot of offices favour carpet tiles, which although are more expensive end up lasting longer because high wear zones can be easily replaced at low cost.

In your case, you want a chair mat. They're not infallible but will help prevent wear and extend the life of the flooring.

euroffice.co.uk/g/5…ts/
    Why don't you get one of those special plastic sheets that you put under the chair?

Such as:
    ebay.co.uk/itm…48c
    (edited)
    use a mat or change to proper office carpet/hard floor
    Had the same problem until I took the casters off....problem solved
    I just put a mat down on mine and stick the chair on that
    Author
    Brainwave (maybe), if I took the castors off then used some metal adhesive to attach some chrome castor cups to the base of the chair where the castors were, would that work?
    Ben3110

Brainwave (maybe), if I took the castors off then used some metal … Brainwave (maybe), if I took the castors off then used some metal adhesive to attach some chrome castor cups to the base of the chair where the castors were, would that work?

no

friction in whichever format will cause wear - doesnt matter if you have 4 castors/5castors or solid base - the continued movement in same situ will cause wear in the carpet.

either protect the "local area" (mat) or use carpet tiles as already mentioned

or go search for a hoverchair
's avatar