Posted 12 December 2023

Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    masking tape
    ^^^ This ^^^
    Forget the edging tool nonsense. They will frustrate you and you’ll end up spending more time painting. Personally, I’ve never used decorators tape either, and I haven’t got the steadiest of hands, but achieved straight lines anyway. A decent brush and confidence will do the job rather than unnecessary contraptions.
    If you get yourself a decent brush to start with it's no where near as hard as you think.
    One hand im steady as a rock. Unfortunately the other hand is my painting hand!

51729289-9lCzD.jpg
    Buy locally Ciret Masq Purple Low Tack Painters Tape 1"/25mm.

Pull tape after the second coat when paint is still wet
    I've never found an edging tool that is of any use whatsoever, and I've painted an awful lot of walls in my time. Low tack masking tape every time, but pull it off before the paint dries.
    Cut up a detergent or fizzy drink bottle.
    Flatten out the panel using heat .
    Cut a straight edge
    Hold it in one hand against the surface you don't want painted, with your brush in the other.
    You can now paint up to the edge.
    Cleaning is easy
    I've 2 friends who are professional decorators and they would laugh at the idea of this. Seriously though - if something existed that done it better by hand they would be using it.

Like others have said - forget about it - more hassle than it's worth. It's easier than you think. A good quality brush and you will be flying. Key is not to go to close to the edge (maybe a couple of mills away) on the 1st coat. The second or 3rd (if needed) is the key to getting that straight line (a lot easier when your not trying to paint the wall - as you do with the 1st/2nd (if using a 3rd) coats)

I used to stand back and a few spots would annoy me - thing is NO ONE else will ever see what you see. It will look well to them, assuming you're half decent at painting
's avatar