Posted 2 days ago

Parking charges recovery letter from QDR solicitors

Hi all ,

A mate got issued with parking charges from a private company.
He choose to ignore the letters but now Zzps limited ( who was acting on behalf of Globe Protection Ltd ) have passed the recovery debt to QDR solicitors.
What are his options if he doesn't want to pay this charge ?
Should he ignore this letter as well ?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The pepipoo alternative Free Traffic Legal Advice is the best place to get timely and quite often expert help in all things car/fine related.

They have helped me successfully appeal a CAZ fine where others told me it was impossible.
    Is that a CPZ fine typo?
    To have got to this stage the alleged event must have happened many months/years ago. Clearly, the debt has been sold to other companies to try and recover. The buying company often buy in bulk with the hope that if they recover one or a few debts they will recoup the cost and maybe more. You ask for options. There are only 4. Pay that which is owed, continue to ignore, prepare and budget for a court case, expect bailiffs to seize goods.
    You could do a subject access request & see what evidence they have. Previously in these pass down debts they lose the information needed to enforce the debt.

Probably worth doing that in the first instance rather than just coughing up, if they are thinking of doing that.
    I’m not sure how many of the people giving advice actually have personal experience, but I received a fine from a private parking company in November 2019.
    I ignored it and all subsequent threatening letters, including notices of bailiff action. I ignored those and finally received a court summons. About 2 weeks before the court date, I received an offer of a reduced fine to avoid court…which I ignored.
    The parking company have to pay a court fee approx 14 days before the court date. The day before this was due, they called the whole thing off. This was last December and after 4 years of relentless letters and scaremongering.
    They are persistent, but they will not take it to court or spend a single penny of their unscrupulous fortune to get you there.
    They rely entirely on the fear factor and it sounds as though most people on this forum would give in at the earliest stage.
    52569279-gWp7m.jpg
    Notice of Discontinuance is not a strike.

And if you took the time to look at the proper website in the link given above ftla.uk/ind…php that deals with thousands of these issues a year then you will see the people giving the bad advice are the ones that just state "do nothing" "ignore".

It is not a good idea for the OP to follow that advice & it is a good idea that they read the information & ask the correct questions & present the right information on the other site.
    Ignore unless it's from Parkingeye.
    Don't listen to the rest of the bad advice.

You will keep getting letters. Keep ignoring. Only time to really think about is if you get a court summon.

EDIT : And, if in the 0.0000001 % chance that you do get a court summon, man up and turn up and the judge will squash the unreasonable charge. (edited)
    If he keeps ignoring the letters the charges will get bigger & bigger & in the end he'll have a visit from the bailiffs.
    Whatever he does do not just ignore it. You cannot just 'ignore' these letters any more there are test cases now in Court which show they are legal and in a lot of cases are enforceable. 

Make sure your friend follows the advice given, or he is possibly going to find getting credit very difficult if it goes to court and/or bailiffs arrive. 
    It is probably best to mention what the ticket was for, where was he supposed to have parked, did he park there, how long for & is the information correct?

It is not as simple as saying don't pay it anymore.
    Not a legal expert so take what I say with caution.
    I have come across this situation on many occasions.
    Firstly why is your friend ignoring parking ticket?
    Did they not buy a ticket, over stayed or believe the ticket was issued in error?
    Did the private car park have clearly visible signs which include T and C's, duration, costs etc. this is the basis of your contract with car park company.
    If there was no signage and you can prove this then they cannot enforce ticket.
    If there was signage and you broke terms of contract ie over stay, not buying ticket, not parking within the bay etc etc then they have a very strong case against you/ friend.
    You need to prove why you cannot fulfil your end of the contract eg. faulty meter.
    I know that alot of car parks/ enforcement/ solicitors are owned by the same parent company, they push things around to pressure you in thinking that the situation has escalated.
    Car parks must be registered and only registered car parks can obtain your personal info from DVLA.
    Some private car parks are not legitimate, they hand out tickets but these are not enforceable because they don't comply with all the rules, they ticket cars knowing most will pay especially if there is a reduced fine if paid with a certain period.
    I can't advise you on the best action to take but personally if I breached contract terms on signage then I would simply pay the fine.
    I can give you a few examples:
    1) a friend parked in a car sales forecourt to walk next door to shop in Tesco express and use cash point. He done this on a few occasions and ended up with 4 tickets each arriving one day after the next. The signage was quite small but clearly visable. My friend ignored signs not knowing he was caught on CCTV. He admitted to fault and ended up paying for 4 parking tickets.
    2) a friend parked in carpark, software glitch and he couldn't pay for ticket. Online bank says transaction pending so he walked off thinking it was paid. Transaction couldn't be completed and disappeared from his phone so there was no record that he tried paying for it, he received a fine. He rang the company and was surprised that they cancelled the ticket. He mentioned that another person couldn't pay also when at the ticket machine so there was probably a faulty machine and the company may know about it.
    3) a friend had parking ticket. there was no signs, when she received ticket she complained, stating there were no signs, when she went back weeks later there were new signs installed. They threatened her with courts and baliffs. She refused to pay, went to local papers to complain. They offered to reduce fine but she refused. This dragged on for over a year or 2. The car park eventually had houses built on it and the company never followed up with their threats. She's braver than me and she refused to pay because she knew the ticket was not valid.
    I’ve received a letter from QDR solicitors about a parking charge notice.QDR Solicitors collect a lot of unpaid parking fines on behalf of private parking companies.

You should not ignore it, as they quite often issue a claim in the County Court to obtain a CCJ for these parking tickets.
    Copied from money advice online. Does your friend want a CCJ? Their decision at the end of the day
    Haven't done one of these for a good few years now , get registered on pepipoo and start a thread , some brilliant knowledge on there ...
    But he shouldn't have ignored as a fair percentage can win appeals with help...
    Worthwhile pointing out that there is a difference in law depending on what part of the UK you're from. In NI we can continue to ignore them - nothing has changed, but my understanding is that it has changed in England now. I only keep up with NI position
's avatar