Posted 2 January 2024

Pc help motherboard dead

Hi all my pc died on boxing day and after trying all parts in a friends pc figured out the mobo is now dead. Just looking for recommendation if I should replace the mobo or am I better off getting a new mobo/cpu due to ages. Atm cpu is a 6th I7 6700k gpu is a 980ti don't do any heavy gaming on it just mainly wow.
Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you are happy with the way it gamed before, then I#d stick with just getting a new mobo for now, for example if you didn't have your cpu overclocked, you could just go with a b250 mobo like this

ebay.co.uk/itm…532
    That is what I would do. Just sell it back on Ebay next year. You might lose £10 max.
    what makes you suspect the mobo is dead?
    Author
    It's the only part that I cant get to work when I turn it on nothing happens it been working find for the last six years.
    What I have tried
    Taken it all out case and tried it
    Tried different ram slots with only one stick
    Strip it down just mobo/cpu.
    Reseating cpu.
    Different psu
    Then I tried each piece individually then all altogether in a friends pc and they all works cpu/ram/gpu perfectly
    Nobody can answer that without more info.
    Do you want to spend £1k on a whizz bang machine, or £300 on a much better PC than yours but still used? Or £30 on a used mobo to replace your existing one..
    If you replace the mobo you can at least sell as a working PC, which may be better than selling for parts.. though you would get ok prices for your current cpu / gpu...
    Author
    Just looking for something to last me another year. Till I decide to do a complete new build.
    So you also tried your CPU in your friends PC?
    Author
    Yes
    I assume you changed the CR3032 battery as well?

cheapest would be grab used motherboard from ebay?

However, I would recommend spending getting new CPU and motherboard instead.
    B550 motherboard + Ryzen 7 5700X would last you few years until you upgrade GPU.

BTW, what is your PSU? intel 6th gen release back in 2015, may be it is time to get a new one as well.
    Author
    Yea tried changing the battery aswell, psu is 750 watt
    If you are happy with the way it gamed before, then I#d stick with just getting a new mobo for now, for example if you didn't have your cpu overclocked, you could just go with a b250 mobo like this

ebay.co.uk/itm…ZYw
    Check if the motherboard has error reporting, most do, look up the manual. Could be a flashing pattern but it's often a grid of 4 lights.

Try resetting the CMOS, removing the battery may not reset it, you may have to use a jumper to bridge a couple of pins (it can be done with just a piece of metal if you don't have any but be really really careful).
    If you need something to get you up and running again quickly, a cheap business tower or workstation is probably your best bet. New board + CPU will be better but then you'll probably need RAM and other bits as well, it can quickly escalate.
's avatar