Posted 3 hours ago

Peephole camera/Security light camera

Good morning everyone. Anyone got any ideas/tips. We have been having a few problems recently with neighbours. It's a block of 4 flats. People congregating outside flat and some very strong smells(without naming it) people coming all hours on morning.

There is a peephole currently fitted, but view is not good.

I know there will be privacy issues etc but quite frankly at this point I don't really care and feel can't rely on police etc.

I would rather have peephole because feel one mounted externally might even bring more trouble. I think too would prefer not to hear what they're saying(although you can hear anyway now).

This is the current security light and door knocker/peephole we have but view isn't good.

If I know congregated there I prefer to wait until gone and don't want my kids smelling that.

Thanks
4332050_1.jpg4332050_1.jpg4332050_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    What's the age range? You could consider a Mosquito, or use the technique employed by some train stations and play Mantovani, or other classical music through a speaker just inside your door. Get one of the resonating speakers (about £12 off Temu) and then your whole door becomes the speaker
    Author
    Early 30s 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sounds a good idea
    amazon.co.uk/EZV…c=1

It's a bit slow to respond on the app, but seemed to be the best around when I was looking.
    If it's a managed block, then complain to the management. (You might get Hale & Pace turn up).
    The possession law for Mary Jane is not worth the effort of the Police turning up. You need to consider that if you have the camera, then any incident that causes them trouble will instantly create a problem for you, even if you didn't make the call.
    You could try a diplomatic approach and ask them to at least open the window, or go into their own flat.
    What are you expecting to do with any video footage? If it is just to know if it's all clear, then as you said, you can hear them.
    Author

We've been the victim of suspected hate crimes. We get the feeling more are on the way. They're congregating in communal areas and the smell is vile.

We can sometimes hear them but if it's the one alone we can't. We just prefer to know what is outside before opening the door.

I'm aware that when you report illegal activities that mostly will cause more trouble for us. But don't want to live a life where you're always wondering what is waiting outside.

Probably will not do anything with the footage unless crimes against us
    Get a Eufy wired doobell, not the lateest model nor the dual camera, ( software isues ) you will get great recording motion activated, and there is no privacy issue ( I know, had a pratt of a neighbour who moaned but got told this,, ) it is a public lobby/hallway, so therefore no one has any expectation of privacy.
    Don't want to sound negative but......

If you have a camera or you saying anything even politely, there are those that will always take it the wrong way, there are many more people like this nowadays unfortunately.

You will always be blamed if you say something or the police turn up even if you had nothing to do with it. I would say that you have 3 options.

1. Keep quiet and live with it.
    2. Keep a record of all that happens and report to council/housing association/police/managed building (depends on your living circumstances which you choose). Be prepared for retaliation though.
    3. If possible, move.

This is just my personal opinion though. Someone may have other better options for you.
    Author
    1. We try to do that. But when you think you're going to be the victim of further crimes. It's very difficult
    2. The council are useless. We reported we have a disabled child and both parents are disabled and to be very careful who they move in but was totally ignored. This bee. Going on for years despite complaints after complaint
    3. I wish we could afford to move but being disabled and already having this property adapted for my partner's ms it's difficult to afford.

We however have rejoined the waiting list despite loving the area we're in

The behaviour is attracting other anti sociable behaviour and last Sunday we had a their right outside my bedroom window and caught on camera 1, 2 and 4am

I only had the camera 2 weeks because of feeling increasingly intimidated
    Can you install one of the automatic air fresheners, as found in toilets, above your front door to face the hallway? The smell might help cover up the MJ smoke, and the stench (they always stink) might help persuade them to go outside
    Author
    It's outside. They're outside. Been one guy in corner for years and he just had bit after work and no problem.

Other day though returned home and group of men smoking it and could smell from 20 metres away. Right outside our communal shed area and hiding away. I was with my son and bit intimidated to even go and put our bikes away. About 5 metres from our front door
's avatar