Posted 24 September 2021

petrol station

just spent 40 mins to fill the tank up, is it the same across the country?
Community Updates
New Comment

96 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    45668619-r70xR.jpg
    4 petrol stations around the country reported they had no fuel. The press turn this into "NATIONAL SHORTAGE! FUEL RUNNING OUT!!!". Daily Mail, BBC, The Guardian. the entire media all ran irresponsible scare stories and fueled a panic. They gave far too much prominence to a nothing story.

I've got to drive 450 miles this weekend, I had no choice but to queue up with all the people scared into panic buying. Luckily it only ended up being a 10 minute queue where I was (edited)
    45668560-onmdb.jpg
    BBC found the perfect guy to report on this...
    45671844-cHjoq.jpg
    45668589-DSSWJ.jpg
    I know I know , but I'm here all day as I can't get any fuel, but......

45670321-uaayd.jpg
    What's the likelihood that a huge amount of those twits that panic bought fuel are working from home and only drive to the shops!?

The media really are creating the news stories now, they're they real villains here.
    Typical British public making a non issue a major issue
    Yes. Nutters are running on fuel stations just like they ran on Costco to stockpile toilet roll.

Irrational and ridiculous.
    There wasn’t a shortage, but there will be now, the high demand will not be replenished quickly enough and will have a knock on affect for weeks now..
    DirkDiggler24/09/2021 23:38

Well I didn’t even know about this,went to 2 large petrol stations this e …Well I didn’t even know about this,went to 2 large petrol stations this evening and both were closed, (tesco) another one (bp) had a very long queue and traffic blicking the whole road..so I’m sure it’s much more severe than just 4 across the country.

Stations are running out now because everyone's filling their tanks at once and petrol stations are having to deal with a couple of weeks worth of fuel being sold in 24 hours.

Give it a couple of days and the panic will be over as all the panic buyers will be driving around with enough petrol to last them a month.
    abigsmurf24/09/2021 21:35

4 petrol stations around the country reported they had no fuel. The press …4 petrol stations around the country reported they had no fuel. The press turn this into "NATIONAL SHORTAGE! FUEL RUNNING OUT!!!". Daily Mail, BBC, The Guardian. the entire media all ran irresponsible scare stories and fueled a panic. They gave far too much prominence to a nothing story.I've got to drive 450 miles this weekend, I had no choice but to queue up with all the people scared into panic buying. Luckily it only ended up being a 10 minute queue where I was

The media are the reason why we have so many issues in this country
    Couple of my local stations have no fuel and queues are crazy and blocking roads. I've just been out now and the normally quiet roads are busy with people hitting the great British petrol hunt.

Saw on the news this morning that there was no shortage of fuel just struggling to get it delivered to the stations, also only a handful were out of fuel. So what does everyone do............. PANIC ....... And cause issues that weren't there to start with. (edited)
    45670115-BcdPv.jpg
    45669263-tQcQI.jpg
    This is next level stupid!

From my FB feed - location is Rowlands Castle, Portsmouth.

45669734-FrSck.jpg

4 petrol stations around the country reported they had no fuel. The press …4 petrol stations around the country reported they had no fuel. The press turn this into "NATIONAL SHORTAGE! FUEL RUNNING OUT!!!". Daily Mail, BBC, The Guardian. the entire media all ran irresponsible scare stories and fueled a panic. They gave far too much prominence to a nothing story.I've got to drive 450 miles this weekend, I had no choice but to queue up with all the people scared into panic buying. Luckily it only ended up being a 10 minute queue where I was

That’s because good news does not sell newspapers
    Just one of the joys of driving an EV.

I've probably just cursed my electricity supplier
    People are stupid and as the saying goes. You can't fix stupid. One thing that is obvious is that common sense isn't really that common.
    Back to home working. Not because of covid but because thanks to this people won't be able to get to work
    Yeah bunch of ****wombles. (edited)
    Fortunately have legs
    who knew ?
    Don't PANIC BUY is interpreted as PANIC BUY!! half the stations near me in Wolverhampton had closed by mid afternoon and coned off. Idiots
    Like others have said, the fact that people specifically rushed out to get it despite most petrol stations having no particular supply issues, will cause supply issues… by virtue that now they’re all in need of stock at the exact same time and there simply isn’t enough tankers to deliver all that fuel at once… :/ besides most people won’t need that much petrol, so it’ll just sit in their tank idle whereas an emergency service could’ve used it. (edited)
    D3LL80Y25/09/2021 07:27

Strangely though , joe bloggs seemed to ignore the stay in rule at the start of covid, yet listened to the bull about toilet roll and food shortages.
    HappyShopper25/09/2021 03:50

This is next level stupid!From my FB feed - location is Rowlands Castle, …This is next level stupid!From my FB feed - location is Rowlands Castle, Portsmouth.[Image]

Why wasn't he stopped, surely transporting that amount in a car is not legal? What an absolute turd!
    PonJaul7624/09/2021 23:16

Until due to the gas price rise and the cost of generating the electric …Until due to the gas price rise and the cost of generating the electric and you charging them ends up costing more than filling up a supercar

if gas price increases, it won't be long before everything else will follow anyway. it will all be expensive, wthether you queue at the petrol station or not. it then becomes a matter of convenience.
    Idiot of the day post... 45671523-y9QBQ.jpg

Not really. Social media is
    Plenty at ma station
    All the petrol stations in my town have now run out (small town, only 3) and the buses have changed their route as they can't get past one of the stations.
    people are still burning fuel in the sky so a okay ?
    45668759-AI27F.jpg
    So many people WFH, what do they need all this fuel for?

I need to drive as part of my job, we've been told where to get fuel from and show our ID.

But I refuse to become one of the sheep and just join the hoards!
    It’s not like it was in 2000 now it’s as said above the media pushing a story about 5 petrol stations with no fuel yesterday. Three weeks ago the big Shell station near us was closed luckily the media didn’t get hold of the story then.

Well I didn’t even know about this,went to 2 large petrol stations this evening and both were closed, (tesco) another one (bp) had a very long queue and traffic blicking the whole road..so I’m sure it’s much more severe than just 4 across the country.
    Wongy11124/09/2021 21:57

people are still burning fuel in the sky so a okay ?[Image]

Not much demand for aviation fuel right now.

Unless there is constant unrest, the media will be extinct. So they have to foment discontent.
    It's the media fault and they need to be held to account for this chaos. A non story a very slight reduction in deliveries for BP was pushed by news outlets, newspapers and it obviously started a panic and chain reaction of lemmings copying everyone else. Just wait until there are no ICE vehicles and the same happens with electricity, a 30 second refuel will turn into 15-30mins per vehicle.

It's going to be absolute bedlam.
    .MUFC.25/09/2021 11:32

Keep filling up and when I run out I'll resort to desperate measures. I'll …Keep filling up and when I run out I'll resort to desperate measures. I'll syphon your fuel tanks.

Hopefully there's a deal on hose pipes soon.
's avatar