Posted 30 August 2023

PlayStation Plus 12 month subscriptions - Huge Increases From September 6th

Great :/ For the Players...oh

We also wanted to let you know that starting September 6 we will be increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans. This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.

Current prices are (For the UK)

Essential £49.99
Extra £83.99
Premium £99.99

Here are the new prices for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscription plans.

PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription

79.99 USD | 71,99 Euro | 59.99 GBP | 6,800 Yen

PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
134.99 USD | 125,99 Euro | 99.99 GBP | 11,700 Yen

PlayStation Plus Premium 12-Month Subscription
159.99 USD | 151,99 Euro | 119.99 GBP | 13,900 Yen

Here are some discounted PSN top ups, that could help you get the best value:

Other PSN top ups here and here - Please check any terms before you purchase. There are other retailers out there, but the above are very popular with our on-site members. If you do go with another retailer, make sure you do your homework re checks if legit etc.

We also wanted to let you know that starting September 6 we will be increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans. This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.

The new prices for the 12-Month subscription will remain at a discounted rate when compared to purchasing the 1-Month or 3-Month subscriptions over a 12-month period.

For current 12-month subscribers, this price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6. However, any membership changes you make on or after September 6, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan reflecting the new prices. You can change or cancel your subscription at any time, details here.

Source / Full Story

Looking for deals/offers?

Community Updates
New Comment

800 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Main reason I sold my PS5 plus the lack of great games and permanently switched to Xbox. Game Pass is just so much better.
    I've made the opposite switch because Game Pass is worse. Every month they take out more decent games than they add. We have very different experiences here.
    £120 for premium is an absolute scam
    It's a rip-off, not a scam.

A scam involves some element of deception or trickery - so if they said "It's £120 for access to 400 games for a year" and you paid £120 but only get access to 3 games, that would be a scam.

But they're not trying to deceive you here - they say it's £120 for access to 400 games for a year, and that's exactly what you'd get if you paid the price. Up to you whether you want it or not, or whether you think it's good value or overpriced.

I agree - it was already overpriced for a subscription service, now it's going to get even more expensive. It's terrible value and I won't be paying for it. But that doesn't make it a scam.
    Just wait till Black Friday in November they usually give a good discount then,I think it was 25% off last year for subscriptions
    For PS Extra, it's a 19% increase. At the moment you can get a 14% discount on the £84 gift card.

If you did 25% off the £99 you're looking at £75, maybe get a gift card discount on top.

Probably works out even if a tenner in it
    Rip off. Service is barely worth it at the minute.
    But you still need the lowest tier to play online.
    kinda glad I stacked 5 years on the premuim service from turkwey
    *cough* How does one err... do that?
    And that will be the end of my subscription when it runs out in January. Cheers Sony.

They all think they can just keep putting it up and up and we will pay whilst their profits soar. One by one I'm cancelling them. Not. A. Chance.
    Best buy the year subscription now and miss the increase until next year
    So should I buy another year now?
    Author
    If you're going to, then i would. Use PSN cards, potentially the one i linked at footer of thread, but depends on what you're looking to spend. Check the likes of Shopto and CDkeys but obviously look out for any 'dodgy' sites.

Just check everything will work before purchasing.

I do expect some discounts maybe around November, but no idea what they will be, if that does come to light. (edited)
    Is there any way to downgrade plans?
    Just make sure automatic renewal is switched off and re-subscribe to a lower tier when it runs out
    For those rushing to stack, DON’T! They do sales twice a year and it’ll be below £50 then so you’re not saving what you think you are….
    Exactly. There will be sales twice even before Xmas. Black Friday and there's always one early December (edited)
    It's now CHEAPER in the US and only slightly more expensive in the UK than PS Plus Essential to upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate from Xbox Live Gold yearly.
    For Turkish PSN store account owners, Sony support said that they froze the purchase of PS Plus till the price update. I am also trying for past 4 days to renew it but every time I get the message "something went wrong". According to same support, yearly deluxe price will be updated to 95 Euro per year compared to current price.
    Thanks for this. They're such a scummy corporation.
    Ouch, that's a pretty disgusting increase in price. A smaller percentage I understand, but this is far too big not to notice, it will ruffle feathers and lose customers as well as face for company as well.

Which when tied with the Starfield debacle, an this idea that seems to be doing the rounds that Sony aren't supporting their console, it is the first time Sony are under the cosh this generation.

Edit-

To make this worse, their claims of - "This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service."
    Is pretty darn rich when they have announced garbage for plus this coming month, with the prior month really not being great either. (edited)
    Author
    I've been a PlayStation gamer for years and years, like many others, but even i'm at the point at wondering what they're actually doing. Even the recent 'PlayStation Portal' seems pointless (Personal opinion of course)

The increase, as you say, isn't some small increase, this is huge increase and alongside trying to keep costs down, it won't still well for many users.
    Bye bye PlayStation, hello xbox
    Xbox has no games (edited)
    I know its inflation etc but a gamecube in 2002 BRAND NEW was 130 quid and sony wants 120 quid for premium?!lol na
    it went to 100 dollars at one point
    Console: £300-400
    Games: £70 each
    Online: £60/y

Never been happier to be a PC Gamer
    £2000/3000 for a PC.

Games = £60

or...

£450 console + 10 years of PSN (£600) = £1050

Games = £70 - but you can re-sell them
    Games (Digital) = £??? - can be purchased from Turkey/Brazil etc much cheaper than retail

Build a PC that can play Forza Motorsport 4K 60fps for £450.
    Glad I finally bought a gaming PC. Done with PlayStation and Xbox and the ridiculous charges they come with
    Author
    Tempted to head down this route.
    Obviously if you you are into multiplayer then you have no choice. You either pay Sony or move to another platform. Personally I'm not much into multiplayer (the few that I do play are on Xbox) so it was an easy choice a couple of years back when I chose not to renew my PSPlus.

People essentially need to look at how much multiplayer gaming they do. If its not a lot then cancel. You won't miss the ever increasing Sony pricing. I certainly haven't.
    I barely play Multiplayer and prefer to renew a few months at a time if the mood takes me. Then I know I get my money's worth.

All of these subscriptions are ludicrous. Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, Netflix, Paramount, Disney+... I feel sorry for parents. Probably have to remortgage your house if this keeps up. Glad I don't buy into it.
    They have pretty much destroyed their “casual” gamer market share.
    I would like to think that too, but in 2017, they put the price up to £50.

Look how many paying users there are now

50893809-7MIH5.jpg
    What do I do if I want to extend an Essential sub now? It runs out in October.

Had a look on the site and it says this...

"This PlayStation Plus Essential subscription continues indefinitely.

You'll be charged £49.99 + applicable tax automatically every 12 months until you cancel. For details on how to cancel, go to playstation.com/cancel-subscription
    Charges may be increased on 60 days' notice for reasons set out in the service terms."

Do I just do that and it'll charge £49.99 in October? I usually turn auto renew off, so I presume it's off right now & will go back on if I do this. If it renews in October they won't have the 60 day notice time, so should charge £49.99. Is that right?

Is there any way to just pay for it now? Have PSN credit already on account. Thanks!!

Edit: Just noticed it says next payment would be due in 2024. So I think that'll be okay to do, must take payment now not Oct? (edited)
    You can top up as many years as you like, if you do it now, you will get it for £49.99 per year. If you do it after Oct then it will be the new price per year
    just reading the news... 59% inflation in Turkey, goodbye cheap games and subs
    I only have PS+ for online use and I’ve just punted COD on that online market place so my subscription won’t be getting renewed until The Division 3 or something like that.

I can’t say I ever remember playing one of the ‘free’ games so I might have a look at Starfield on my daughter’s Series and consider a move to the dark side for Game Pass (edited)
    bought Series x just for that game.. no regrets
    June 2025 and I am out
    PC is the best. Don’t have to pay ontop of internet bill to play online.
    Not the only factor. Dozens of games from Bloodborne to FF16 I can't play on PC.
    Do Sony even offer a way to downgrade your subscription yet? Last I checked you had to wait for one to expire if you wanted to move down a tier
    Still the same
    Oh I always use it just to play only multiplayer games. Sony has to introduce another cheap plan for Just only multiplayer. I don't need monthly free games or discounts.

I'm still on PS4 Pro. I didn't buy a PS5. I so glad I wasn't hurry. I will assemble a PC start playing all my titles. No price hassles anymore but will have to face GPU and CPU compatibility issues. I have migrated to Playstation due to simplicity. What ever it named for PS4 just works. (edited)
    CPU and GPU compatibility issues are mainly a thing of the past. Drop me a PM if you need help
    If my existing plan runs out 19 Nov and I 
    buy a renewal now will I be billed at today’s price or the new one? Probably the new one but I cant tell for sure from the info.
    Billed at the old pricing, if you upgrade on or after 6th September then you’ll be billed the new pricing.
    Posted this in the PS+ monthly games thread, but may as well post it here too:

I had auto-renew turned off, but turning it back on it says this:

So presumably it'll renew at £49.99 then? I'm on the Essential level.
    Perhaps this hasnt been updated yet. Mine says the same.

However if i was you i would be letting it lapse - Every december for the last good few years they do a half price offer for lapsed subscribers. Usually runs from about the 8th December for around 2 weeks i think.

Mine expires in the window however based on the dates of previous years this might be my last year i expire and fall in the window.

Edit: Last years deal: hotukdeals.com/dea…222 (edited)
    Back in the time machine, PS Plus launch info in 2010, when it was £40, but online play was still free.

50893731-bQrcP.jpg50893731-Zovdd.jpg
    This is for people who have a lapsed subscription, or a stacked subscription from earlier times ...

Have a look at this old thread:
    hotukdeals.com/dea…801

50896542-f5rSt.jpg
    Offer with cap:
    app.screencast.com/4LO…nIw

From what I heard, the method should still work:

Option 1: For people with old stackings: Go on the upgrade page in your PS Plus and see what the offer is. It could be just around £ 74.99 ($ 100) to upgrade the entire remaining subscription to Premium or Extra (cheaper option). Also should appear for foreign subscriptions (Indo/ Turkey)

(NOT TESTED!!!)
    Option 2: For people with lapsed subscriptions (only then!) you might still be able to stack essential subscriptions for some years and then upgrade altogether for the fixed price.)

Please do your own research. I am not sure if it still works. But it is worth it for people with an old stack to have a look on the upgrade page and see if they can find an offer. From what I understand, old stacks can also add additional years first to the existing stack. But please read the forum link I shared above. There is also additional postings on the internet. Just search Google for "PS plus upgrade premium cap"

Again NO GUARANTEE but worth a look at! (edited)
    I did this last week on a turkish account. I bought 5 years essential then upgraded my account to deluxe. It saved me like 550 tl.
    I was waiting for the Ps5 slim, but i think i will just stick with the PS4 pro now and just use it as a offline console as no way i am ever giving Sony £60 a year for a basic service they just spent the last 2 years destroying as to try and push you to pay for their higher teirs, which now ironically are way too costly to even consider now.
    Can get a £50 code from shopto for £41.99. Kids have just under 300 days running on their accounts so if we buy a top up today will it stack? It’s also a joke they don’t just do a family ps+ but instead we need to buy 2 passes a year. Not 3 passes at least as I’m no longer an online player.
    My kid who’s now legal to drink is on my PS+ with a sub account? She’s on PS4 Pro and we have the PS5 downstairs.

The wife also has an account but only one ps+ in the house. (edited)
    Does anyone know how to get the £41.99 offer on shopto for £50 ps gift card? I’m only getting the option of £46.85 for a £50 card. Think I’m going to add another year of essential before the increase tomorrow. Thanks!

Question - Can I use the Turkey hack to add sub onto existing PS Plus account or would I need to create a brand new one account? Thanks! (edited)
    Shows £41.99 for me. Make sure you're logged in.

And no, you can't add a Turkey sub to your UK account, you'd need a whole new account.
    I've just got a PS5, what's the best, working method for this now?

Seems to be a lot of confusion in the thread :/
    If you can wait to play online I’d just leave PS+ until Black Friday or a Xmas deal and buy a 12 month sub using a discounted gift card.

I did premium for a year and personally wouldn’t recommend it nor extra. There are hundreds of games on there and it’s impossible to play even a fraction of them all and guaranteed not to have some games you wanted anyway. Just buy the ones you want using eBay or the store discounts (you’ll find a thread on that here regularly) and go with the lowest PS+ tier or not at all. (edited)
    Probably said before. But if you had bought the premium at a lower price. Make sure your auto renew is turned off. To save any expensive surprises later on.
    my subscription is up on 24th September 2023, anyone else notice the lack of availability for 12-month subscription cards on the market?
    Cards don't exist anymore, it's been like that since it changed last year.

It sounds like you don't know but there are 3 tiers of subscription Essential(original), Extra(huge catalogue of games), Premium(same as extra but access to some streaming and older games).

You either buy your sub direct from the Playstation store at full price unless there are offers on or do what most people do and buy top-up fund cards from places like shopto a little cheaper and purchase the sub from the PS store with that.

If you can hold off until Black Friday or top-up the sub again that will likely have 25% off. (edited)
    This may have already been asked but can you stack 12 month subscription?

For instance, could i buy a console and 3 years worth not to worry in the future?

Thanks
    Yes
    Na sony can get stuffed!
    Good grief, that's insanely expensive for the top tier. Massive mistake from Sony IMO.
    I miss the days it was free without the ‘free’ games, PS3 days
    Sony can jog on. I won't be renewing when mine expires.
    Likewise I guess. I’m on Extra (the middle tier I believe) but can’t justify renewing since the free monthly games aren’t all that tbh. 
's avatar