Posted 12 hours ago

Please help. Radiator issue at parents house

My mam switched off one radiator on Sunday at the thermostat, and went to turn it back on yesterday and it won't heat up, there wasn't any problems before it was switched off on Sunday. My dad tried bleeding it last night, but only water came out. If anyone knows the problem, I'd be grateful. Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Turn all your rads off and just leave the one you are having trouble with open
    Gently give the TRV a tap to see if that helps (and make sure it's also set to fully open).
    99% sure it will be this. Might want a few good taps.

if it still doesn't work you can unscrew the top of the TRV and see if the metal pin moves up and down freely
    If "Thermostat" = TRV (thermostatic radiator valve):
    possibly stuck TRV pin.
    Check 75secs YT vid from 19secs onward to see if applicable to the specific TRV type.
    Vid has terrible audio, and suggests there's no need to reassemble
    Swap the TRV with another off a working radiator to see if the fault is the TRV.
    Then buy a new one/fix it.
    had this prob makesure the the trv pin moves up an down think i used pliers like others have said tap side of it
    Agree with all these comments; had thi sin my son's bedroom, but it took a hammer tap to loosen. Stuck again, now, though.
    try clean best u can an i used wd40
    Author
    I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this post. As highlighted by all, the pin was stuck under the TRV, a quick blast with water dispersion 40 spray and the radiator is back to working again. Really much appreciated, can't thank you all enough but thank you again
    Good result, & respect for posting successful conclusion & thanks.
's avatar