Posted 19 December 2023

Quickest way to patch a small tear washing machine gasket seal ?

There is a small tear on front seal which I can see and is probably causing the leak
Is there a quick patch fix I can do myself

Or is it a bigger job I can do myself ?

LG 10.5kg/7kg TrueSteam Washer Dryer
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I think you would be better replacing the seal I'm not sure they are repairable to be honest
    This video gives an idea, obviously for a Bosch, of what sort of job its is. But defineatly its better to replace it.
    For the cost, and piece of mind, just replace it. I doubt you could satisfactorily repair something as flexible as that without causing future issues
    Being ok with temperature, water and constant movement are not what I would describe as being good for a patch. Maybe a bike tyre patch, assuming the contact adhesive doesn't melt the seal further?

I have to agree with the others though, replacing the entire seal isn't expensive or overly difficult. I did one on an old washer where the mould just wouldn't disappear. It needed a short spanner and a screwdriver, a few bruised knuckles and about half hour from start to finish. The seals are readily available on Ebay.
    There's some expensive stuff for fixing leaks in rubber and vinyl waders that might work, but you'd probably have to remove the seal and seal it from the outside, and I really don't think it would be worth trying.

Buy a new seal, or even a used good condition one. They are fairly easy to fit, you'll probably need to do a bit of disassembly and unscrew the controls and the front panel to fit it to the tub. On mine the gap to the concrete weights are quite tight, but as I was changing the bearings, I just unbolted the weights on the front.
    IF you really want to try something quick and easy that MAY work temporarily while you get a replacement seal try a tenacious tape patch like below.

That said, the previous posters advise on just changing the whole seal sounds like much better advice

amazon.co.uk/gp/…7KX
    Author
    Thanks guys for your help will get a new seal and try diy rather then get a tradesperson who will probably want over £100
's avatar