Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 2 days ago

Royal Carribbean Cruise - tips

Hadn't considered it really before going on our first cruise but a work colleague said they always get the tips removed and then tip who they choose.

On booking it seemed paying a lump sum for tips before boarding was the norm. Not cheapskates but . . . .

Any advice on what others have done would be appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Obviously up to you.

But the tips if paid via 'lump sum' gets shared across everyone on the ship rather than just the people you would bump into (such as waiter and bartender).

I always do the lump, and actually tip extra for the people who gave me extra service (using the onboard credit if i have a bit left at the end).

Cruise Critic is a good forum for far more detail.
    Agree, that I would remove the tips and tip to those you want too. It worked well for me when I went on my cruise and if tip, you get a much better service and get additional items foc. For example, fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast was a chargable item, but we got to know the waiter and we got this free throughout the whole cruise.
    You have you until the last day of your cruise to remove the tips. I cut mine in half as they were worthy of tipping but not the amount they were asking.