Posted 2 days ago

Sanyo briefcase repair

Hi all,

I am looking for someone fairly local to NN10 to repair a Sanyo Briefcase record player (as shown in stock photo).

I would like it repaired NOT replaced as some other company decided to do even after I advised how sentimental this item was to me.

Needs a new belt for tape player even though the tape works. Needs a needle for record player or whatever it is called and a general service I would say.

4313014_1.jpg

Thanks all.
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Did you check local repair cafes that fix stuff for a donation?
    Author
    Hi, I shall have a look at local cafes but have not seen anything like that around here. I have tried all the local repairers and they won't touch it. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks for that. Will give it a try.
    It's called a stylus - CPC stock equivalent and it is designed to be user replaced.
    The tape belt is a bit more involved, but can be done with a bit of effort - again CPC stock various sizes.
    As for the servicing, perhaps a little oil to lubricate the moving parts and a clean of the capstan & read head, again designed to be an end user task. A cotton bud dipped in isopropyl alcohol should suffice.
    I regret giving mine away (even though the plastic bacame quite brittle), although I still have the microphones! (edited)
    Author
    Thank you for that information. I think the stylus arm may be broken and needs to be looked at. It has had close to 50 years of neglect and would prefer a professional to restore!/repair it rather than me try and quite possibly make it worse.
    Have you tried Stuart audio on Wellingborough road in Rushden, if they can't fix it, they might know someone who can?
    Author
    First people I tried but could not help either way. Also tried the shop on the high street, they have a guy that they use for repairs. He also did not want to know.

Tried a place in Kettering that did not do as I requested and I found mysekf out of pocket without any thing to show for it. (edited)
    I knew I'd seen a video about this somewhere. Techmoan has a video about a similar Sanyo Suitcase stereo, may be worth a watch. Assuming you haven't seen it already (from March 2023):
    Author
    Thank you. Will have a look now.
's avatar