Posted 3 days ago

Set top box

i want a set top box to replace the catch up box integrated into my TV. These sometimes come with a free view box which I don't really want. It needs to have a network connection as my internet is slow so using wifi would make it too slow and the nearest connection is too far away. It needs to be HD not 4K. There are quite a lot about.
I got one which had very good reviews running android. It was a nightmare to configure and It was almost impossible to find anything on Iplayer for instance, you had to use keep switching a virtual mouse on and off to get anywhere. If you found what you wanted it insisted on showing you the latest episode without a way back to the series. There was no way to scroll down! The 'manual' was three small pages of irrelevent stuff.
I suppose you can't expect these things to work as well as the integrated one, but really! The TV is fine, but gradually the aps have stopped working or disappeared. There are no more updates to the firmware.
Community Updates
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Early gen Direstick is probably about a fiver shifted via some chancer on the bay.
    Add a £1.20 USB OTG power cable and a £3 USB ethernet adaptor and you're good to rock without a Roku.

52795075-kdBEq.jpg
    The dire mess in the indicated Direstick implementation could be reduced by binning the USB hub completely if you don't want want to use additional remote keyboards/mouse/toysticks/storage,
    or if you want to keep the USB options you could alternatively tidy by using a USB hub with integral ethernet at about a fiver.

List of apps for gen1 Direstick inc << Movies & TV >> apps can be viewed (sic) at
    amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-TV-Stick-Apps-and-Games/b?&node=5862532031
    Author
    Thanks, it looks cheap, but it's really the implementation that (for me) needs to be good.
    If looking at throwing £85+ at BT Pro 4k box from CEX there will be a strong argument to alternatively:
    • not throw £85+ at BT Pro box
    • shift the existing functional but now-dumb TV for whatever wedge you can
    then put the proceeds towards a new TV with all the required apps and enjoy the benefits of
    • excitement of shiny new device
    • no external device cabling / multi-remote mess
    • new TV warranty
    • 5+ years anti-premature-failure rights
    especially as the existing TV is clearly aged and possibly approaching end of life / nearing replacement anyway.
    Author
    Well ok, but my samsung 55" is in excellent condition. Also it's 3D which I like. Just they won't update the firmware. The equivalent is £2000 plus. The firmware used to be updated regularly. It has never failed just some aps need updating or they've disappeared and it won't (edited)
    Have you seen a BT TV Pro Box .....its available 2nd hand without a BT subscription on ebay and in CEX.
    Just the cost of buying the box....

Works both with a tv aerial like a freeview box but also with an internet connection for apps like Netflix / Amazon Prime/ Iplayer etc

Ive bought a few for friends and they seem to get on with them well.

have a look at this review ....but you dont need the BT sub remember

Techradar Review
    Author
    Thanks for this, this looks really good, I think. There's a proper user guide here
    bt.com/con…pdf
    And the buttons on the remote actually do something useful. Hopefully the aps won't stop working as it seems to be obsolete. I just need the aps you mention and a few others.
    Author
    Anyone heard of the BT mini? seems just the job. Non recordable. No freeview.
    ebay.co.uk/itm…98?
    For instance
    They only work with an active BT or EE TV subscription. It connects direct to their multicast network. It’s useless without this. No live TV or streaming apps - You’ll not be able to get beyond the setup screen.
    Get a firestick & an ethernet adapter for it.
    Go for a Google TV box - such as the Nokia or Strong Leap available on Amazon?
    Obs only:
    YT is not a catchup app as such but may have been included on your now not-so-smart TV app list.
    Not aware of YT being available on BT TV Pro box.
    Reasonably sure YT app was promised (and possibly even demo'd) at the box's launch,
    but relative's box has no sign of YT; not even a hint.
    The older DTR4000 BT TV box will do what you need if you can't find a cheap BT TV Pro box. I have both in my home and there is virtually no difference between the two.

As much as I detest Facebook people tell me they are often advertised on there cheaply.

I'd also forget using a firestick as a Freeview DVR, yes some channels are available via apps and a handful from the live TV section bit it's a million miles away from proper Freeview DVR

If you want to buy from CEX and find they are out of stock click the notify me button, it really does work as you'll get an email as soon as one comes into stock at a store. Just be quick to buy when you get the email as they sell again very fast (edited)
's avatar