Posted 15 February 2024

Virgin Media retentions-will they ring?

My father cancelled his Virgin Media subscription today. He was paying £27 a month for 250mb + landline and then double once his contract ended. When he rang today to cancel, they offered £22 for the same package minus landline, which he declined. He received a text saying we’re sorry to see you go etc.. and he leaves them officially on March 15th.

Any ideas if retentions will still ring, since they offered him a decent deal in my opinion which he still declined. Marketing communications are enabled on his VM account.
Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have had the same landline number for 25+ years. I wait for them to call back once and accept it. Can't risk losing my phone number to get a slightly better deal. Last time they knocked the renewal from £66 to £42.
    You can always transfer your landline to a VOIP company and have calls diverted to your mobile. I transferred all my business #s to SIPGATE. You could also buy a VOIP corded or cordless phone that plugs into your broadband router. You can move anywhere in the world and keep your landline number. It cost me £20 per number. I'm saving £75 per month on landlines I've no need for. Voipfone is another great company offering the tfr and free incoming calls with a small monthly charge and they have a free ios/android app. voipfone.co.uk/ser…ing (edited)
    Ring them back and accept. People are allowed to change their minds
    Retentions is a lottery so be prepared with a backup plan to actually move or go back with tail between leg to accept. Also, be warned, what they offered on the call may not be available when you call back.

I actually left, was sick to the back teeth with their lack of service, their lack lustre trained so called engineers who just wanted to move onto the next job and their extremely poor CS which varies so much you wonder if some of them actually work for Virgin or happened to be passing heard the phone ringing so picked it up?
    I would have accepted £22 it's not a terrible deal, but everyone makes their own choices. (edited)
    It did not include landline, which I assume her Father wanted. I think he was doing well getting the 250mb and landline for £27 initially, but as we know when contracts come up for renewal, they really whack the price up !! I am dreading my next renewal, as they really make you work for any reduction.
    £22 was what they offered me and I took it. This was a retentions call after I had cancelled.
    I'd hold out yet, took them about 2 weeks to ring me
    Notice given at beginning of the month. Nothing at all despite me calling them when my final bill was twice normal amount as charging beyond cut off date at full price
    My dad asked me this very same question today as my brother called retentions for him last week, I assume declined any offer and requested cancellation.

He’s hoping for a callback if not will have to call them and cancel the notice of cancellation.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    They seem to have different deals on every time you call them
    They literally do, screen in front says what is available when you call and it can change during a single day.
    Not meaning to be rude - meaning to be helpful with the following comment.

This question is asked and answered weekly. I would search VM in the questions section and read through the hundreds of answers. Their is no clear answer to your question - some get calls, others don't - largely influenced by deal percentage taken up that day/week/month.

You may or may not get a call - that's all that's certain. If you want a lot of detail as to why then you will get it through reading the countless posts on this
    Since you have a while to go I would suggest that you may want to wait until 1 March when they possibly have new deals coming out and try ringing retentions . If you are not happy with the first person you speak to hang up and call the next day. This is not a guarantee that you will get a better deal but it appears that you get different deals from different agents. Hope this helps. Would be interested as to how you get on since I have to deal with them every few months when they increase their prices.
    Ring them
    Just been through the usual vm price haggling, long story short couldn’t get a deal I thought was any good so going through cancellation.
    Just wondering with others experience the chances of them offering me a better deal before the cancellation date in 30 days or should I line up a new broadband deal now?
    Many thanks for any advice.
's avatar