Posted 14 June 2020

What are the best settings to use for virgin super hub 3?

I’ve got 350mbs speed broadband with virgin but the WiFi signal and speed has been terrible recently. Does anyone know the best WiFi channels for 2.4ghz and 5ghz I’ve tried to change them but it’s made it worse than it was before.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Disconnect the router. Throw in bin. Replace. Best setting
    'Modem only mode' on the VM Superhub then connect decent router of your choice to one of its Ethernet ports.
    Thats because its crap for wifi very directional.
    Go into the advanced settings.

Select wireless ‘Wireless radio’

2.4ghz
    Select up to 300mbps
    Enable obss
    Channel - set to auto

5ghz
    450mbps
    Auto compatibility

Once done. Apply settings, when confirmed the router should reboot or apply the settings.
    After this, turn off the router for 5mins from the mains. Then turn it back on. Let us know how you get on.

These settings work for me. Should note I’m using the old hub2.
    Tell them to give you the Hub2 I'm still annoyed that they replaced my Hub2 with the 3 and it was garbage for the longest time seems to be doing better now though
    AmazonAnswer15/06/2020 03:03

Tell them to give you the Hub2 I'm still annoyed that they replaced my …Tell them to give you the Hub2 I'm still annoyed that they replaced my Hub2 with the 3 and it was garbage for the longest time seems to be doing better now though

Yup, I refused a Hub3 and am hanging onto the Hub2 like it was a family heirloom.
    One person’s best channel wouldn’t be yours. Never had an issue with ours on auto settings but two replacements recently have very different speeds hopeless technical support would only say we can’t guarantee speeds because of property structures. They couldn’t just went quiet when I was telling them three different routers were giving three totally different speeds.

going to get a mesh when the tp link deco m4 come back in stock and on offer and give up on the piece of junk.
    I was with virgin previously never had problems with the router make sure its position is clear from obstructions and place it high as you can
    Author
    harrythefish14/06/2020 19:17

'Modem only mode' on the VM Superhub then connect decent router of your …'Modem only mode' on the VM Superhub then connect decent router of your choice to one of its Ethernet ports.

I was going to do this but I have no free plug socket
    Author
    Zero.Chill14/06/2020 18:06

Go into the advanced settings. Select wireless ‘Wireless r …Go into the advanced settings. Select wireless ‘Wireless radio’2.4ghzSelect up to 300mbpsEnable obssChannel - set to auto5ghz450mbpsAuto compatibilityOnce done. Apply settings, when confirmed the router should reboot or apply the settings. After this, turn off the router for 5mins from the mains. Then turn it back on. Let us know how you get on. These settings work for me. Should note I’m using the old hub2.

Hub 3 doesn’t have an up to speed setting it only has different channel settings and width setting that’s it
    Author
    deleted7595314/06/2020 18:06

One person’s best channel wouldn’t be yours. Never had an issue with ours …One person’s best channel wouldn’t be yours. Never had an issue with ours on auto settings but two replacements recently have very different speeds hopeless technical support would only say we can’t guarantee speeds because of property structures. They couldn’t just went quiet when I was telling them three different routers were giving three totally different speeds.going to get a mesh when the tp link deco m4 come back in stock and on offer and give up on the piece of junk.

I wanted to get a mesh system but I’ve got no free plug sockets and no mesh system comes with 4 Ethernet ports on the main router which I need
    Ikhlaas14/06/2020 21:01

I wanted to get a mesh system but I’ve got no free plug sockets and no m …I wanted to get a mesh system but I’ve got no free plug sockets and no mesh system comes with 4 Ethernet ports on the main router which I need

If you’re able to figure out the plug socket issue, there is the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD which does have 4 ports on the router (+1 for the internet). You’d have to keep your superhub 3 and put it into modem mode and plug it into the internet port. I’m looking into purchasing it soon. They also have the “gamer edition” model which is also on sale at scan. I’m in the same boat as you, got the same data rate as well, but I haven’t purchased yet as I do have hardwiring around the house and not sure if I should spend the extra time to configure for the better system of Ubiquiti Unifi.
    Author
    hasnain15/06/2020 00:29

If you’re able to figure out the plug socket issue, there is the Ubiquiti A …If you’re able to figure out the plug socket issue, there is the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD which does have 4 ports on the router (+1 for the internet). You’d have to keep your superhub 3 and put it into modem mode and plug it into the internet port. I’m looking into purchasing it soon. They also have the “gamer edition” model which is also on sale at scan. I’m in the same boat as you, got the same data rate as well, but I haven’t purchased yet as I do have hardwiring around the house and not sure if I should spend the extra time to configure for the better system of Ubiquiti Unifi.

Yh I’ve seen the ubiquiti but it’s quite a lot of money like my game console smart tv etc are all hard wired next to the router I just need the WiFi to be better for my phone laptops and other tv around the house
    Ikhlaas15/06/2020 02:38

Yh I’ve seen the ubiquiti but it’s quite a lot of money like my game con …Yh I’ve seen the ubiquiti but it’s quite a lot of money like my game console smart tv etc are all hard wired next to the router I just need the WiFi to be better for my phone laptops and other tv around the house

Yeah it’s quite pricey but it solves the issue with the least amount of stress. I’ve seen some people mention Tenda Mesh as well, the MW6 was apparently a good option for people with high speed connections. I haven’t done much research on it though.
    Ikhlaas14/06/2020 20:59

I was going to do this but I have no free plug socket

Do you mean no free Ethernet socket on the SH3? There are the 4 yellow ones. Once in modem only mode any of the 4 can be used to link to the single Ethernet 'in' port on your 2nd router. In SH3 modem only mode you should ensure that only one of the yellow 'output' ports on the SH3 is connected. There were lots of issues with modem only on the SH3 but they should have been solved by firmware fixes by now. I'm still on SH2, using it as modem only and happy to have stayed with it.

community.virginmedia.com/t5/…492
    Author
    I have an extention plug with 6 devices on there and no room for another plug basically
    I too am still using a SH2 although I long since stopped using the WiFi from this router or its DHCP features.

I created my own WiFi mesh served but those BT mesh discs, and the DHCP is served by the Pi-hole through another wired connection. When the VM network gets bad I phone and complain and the first thing the rep says "... I can see your still on the old HUB, I'll send you out a new one and that will fix it".

I now have 2 x SH3 never connected. They are really pushing these to replace the SH2. I very much doubt they'd contemplate reconnecting your old SH2.
's avatar