Posted 2 days ago

Where to find walking holidays (with accomodation affordable for 1 person) in England?

Hey all,

I am a Dutch person And I love hiking a lot. Also I love the UK. I would like to do a nice multiday hike (at least 4 days, but up to 10 days), in May. Are there any suggestions for self guided hikes, where I can book accomodation easily and offordable? Also I would be interested in a hiking holiday with a small group through an agency. There is no need for luggage transfer and I am travelling alone.

Hopefully someone has some good advice.

Kind regards,
Martijn
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Hello, i would say an average 80 pounds would be oke. And the type of area you describe is exactly what I am looking for. Kind regards, Martijn
    I assume that you are looking to walk in picturesque rural areas (maybe some hills or mountains).

Just as a guide what would you regard as affordable accomodation per night?
    Have you considered Northumberland, handy for the ferry from Ijmuiden? (edited)
    Or the North Yorshire Moors or Dales. £80 per night should be doable even in England. E-mail the local Tourist offices in the areas you are interested in, they should be able to help.
    Something to look at and research is the 'Coast to Coast' walk from Cumbria (lots of nice hills) to Newcastle (easy ferry home). It is normally a few days and takes you from one side of England to the other. If you have extra time to spend in Cumbria you could do some additional walks.
    West Highland Way. Perfect time of the year to do it. In Scotland though
    That's what I was thinking or North Coast 500. (edited)
    If all your looking for is a place to get showered, stash your great and sleep, have a look at hostels. Most have private rooms if dorms aren't your thing and you'll find them dotted along popular hiking routes.

One big benefit is that you'll have people to talk to, and get advice from as you go.
's avatar