Posted 12 December 2023

Xbox vs PS4 from Santa...

Hi guys!
I just want to hear some opinions, personal experience and so on.
My son will be 6 at the end of January.
From Santa he wants either a tablet, either Nintendo switch or PS4 to play FIFA...
He played FIFA for the first time like couple months ago and since then he wants PS4 more than the other 2 options.
Me and wife we said no to all of them.
Now..I have second thoughts...
A PS4 would come handy ( for me too )
Wife still says no to it.
All his friends have one of these 3 gadgets and some all 3 of them.
I told him that I want for him to live his childhood, to enjoy these years and play outside or inside with other things as time is flying and before we realize he will be a awesome grown up...
He is a fantastic child and I don't want for him to feel that he doesn't deserve it..he deserves everything good in this world
I don't want for him to ask himself why his friends have them and he can't have it and so on...
But I don't want for him to dive in in these king of things so young and be like other kids who doesn't know nothing but to play inside video games or spending time on tablets/Nintendo switch...

And If I decide to buy one... would be better a PS4 than Xbox?

Thanks a lot guys!
Community Updates
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Personally, I'd go for PS5. He'll still be able to play with all his PS4 friends and new games are guaranteed to work. Support for the PS4 is likely to stop next year.
    Avoid Series S IMO as you're tied to digital only purchases and tiny storage, plus there will be lot's of games he won't be able to play with his PS4 mates
    Plus he'll love the controller and Astrobot
    If he's asked for a PS4 then I would go with that one especially if that's what all his friends have. Unfortunately we don't live in a world where kids play out and build things etc anymore so at some point you will have to cave and buy him one. You can easily monitor time on there if that's what your wife is concerned about.
    Be aware future FIFA games might stop releasing for last-gen consoles like the PS4. For a 6 year old the Xbox Series S would be a better choice and more future proof. When he is a bit older then upgrade to the more expensive Xbox Series X. Switch is very underpowered and Nintendo will most likely be announcing a new console next year.
    This is the sensible answer here!
    The Xbox has much better parental controls and can play a larger selection of games.
    The PS4 is painful in comparison, although does have the PSVR add-on available
    The Switch seems to be the best solution for a youngster as it is self contained allowing it to be played on road trips! It also has a more child orientated game library.
    Note most games allow for cross platform play - this allows gamers to play in the same game independent of the console. My son plays Fortnite on the Xbox and some of his friends are on the Playstation - he uses WhatsApp to communicate with them. He has a PS4 Pro with PSVR & a Nintendo Switch, but mainly plays on the Xbox!
    How is PS4 painful in comparison ?
    Seems to me like the obvious answer here is to go with what his friends have. If it's a PS4 his friends have get that same with the other 2 consoles. One thing I wasn't sure about as I don't play FIFA, is if PS5 and PS4 players can play together and apparently they can't so just be mindful of that. If his friends are getting PS5s for Christmas for example he wont be able to play FIFA/EA FC with them if he gets a PS4 and they end up upgrading to a PS5. Similarly if he gets a PS5 he won't be able to play with friends that use a PS4.

As for not wanting him to stay inside gaming all the time that's understandstable that's why you just limit his gaming time because while it's important for people to be active and pursue other things outside of gaming it can help them with bonding and friendship if that's what his friends are into (edited)
    The digital version has both PS4 and Ps5 versions so I assume the PS4 version on PS5 allows play with PS4 players?
    Sounds like he's never mentioned Xbox
    Author
    He wouldn't say no to it anyway:))). I wasn't thinking what was best...
    Yes if he's asked for a PS4 get him a PS4, if his friends use a PS4 to play together he will be upset if he can't play with them.

Also you will have to subscribe to PS+ Essential tier to be able to play online but there are other tiers that could benefit you, PS+ Extra tier allows you to play 100s of games some of them top AAA games.

If this console was just for YOU I'd recommend a PS5 but that maybe harder to get past the missus.
    "I told him that I want for him to live his childhood, to enjoy these years and play outside or inside with other things as time is flying and before we realize he will be a awesome grown up..."

He's 6...
    PS4 console can still be bought brand new at retail for £259.99 FYI

can buy from PlayStation Direct, Argos, Very, AO (edited)
    Which is a terrible deal. £260 for last gen.
    If you're considering a switch, PS4 or Xbox one.

Don't even consider the original Xbox one, unless you're going for the One X, you'll be disappointed in the cheaper models.

I'd say a PS4 as games are cheaper than the switch games and a much larger library.
    You can play PS4 games on the PS5 so keep that in mind.
    Although if you want to play FIFA the friends need the same model of playstation to play together. (edited)
's avatar