Posted 21 January 2024

25+ years Potterton boiler issue...time to replace?

When we moved in 8 years ago, we kept the original boiler, a Potterton Netaheat Electronic, which we believe is 25+ years old. Had an issue 2 years in and managed to find a niche gas engineer, who came down and fixed it. Was completely fine since then until yesterday, where we realised after a few hours that the central heating was not on and no hot water.

The boiler starts up on demand (from our Nest thermostat installed in Nov) just fine and I can see the fire lighting up in the little window and it's definitely noisy enough to be doing something. However, no heating or hot water

I can't get through to the niche engineer as he's been busy but last time I enquired about a service, it would cost £500 because he lives quite a while away and that includes his travel cost. He did do a good job and seems to know his stuff about this old boiler but at that cost, not including fixing our issue, which may add up more, would it just make sense to replace? I've tried calling up some places but most are giving me 'we'll come out and will have a look but there's a call out charge, no guarantees' or 'we don't fix that, better to get a new one'.

So small two bed house, semi-detached, circa 650 square feet with hot water tank and I don't think is particularly well insulated (absolutely freezing in the house despite it being 12 degrees outside as the weather says!), what are my best options? Which boiler to go for, what sort of price should I expect for installation etc?

Thanks for any help!
Community Updates
New Comment

33 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Get it replaced. I would go combi but if you want a back up then keep with the current arrangement of hot water tank and conventional boiler.
    I went for a system boiler which contains all the gubbins in one, makes for much easier warranty claims as everything is Valliant. My plumber told me not to go for combo unless it was for just combo hot water to a tap near the boiler which for me would be the kitchen. Reason he cited is that they can be wasteful. So boiler downstairs, you having a shower upstairs, so waiting for hot water to come through in this case is fine. But during the day you might turn on the sink tap which will cause the boiler to fire but you’ll most likely turn thd tap off before you even get any hot water coming through. So in instances like this the combi has used gas to effectively heat some of your supply pipes.

I also went whole hog and replaced my open vented gravity hot water copper cylinder with a Mefaflo. Again was a bit sceptical about it as it cost me around £3.5k including installing a new loft hatch as the old and new cylinders are in the loft. Again what a difference, with the old we never had any hot water left over after washing up after dinner and now we have loads, the system timings are still the same but the new tank stores more hot water, heats the water up quicker and as my entire house is under mains pressure it means hot water comes through to the taps a lot quicker now.
    OP, might be your pump has failed.

How long does the boiler fire up before shutting down?
    Author
    I don't think it 'shuts down'. The first night it was on and firing up for 2 hours plus before we noticed there was no hot water or heating.
    Are you thinking of keeping your hot water tank or changing to a combi boiler to provide the hot water?

A lot will depend on the layout of your house in particular....where the boiler is at the minute and whether you could possibly move it to where your hot water tank is now...usually your airing cupboard.
    Author
    I have no opinion because I'm not really sure what we need?!

I understand a combi boiler doesn't need a hot water tank, provides water on demand and is good enough for small places. So I assume this would work for me.

Does that mean I need to remove the hot water tank?

My current boiler in inside the kitchen and hot water tank is in an airing cupboard next to bathroom.
    I would just get a new one if the repair is going to be £500, you can even get 0% finance for 2-3 years and pay monthly if that helps
    You have defo had your money out of it is 28 years old. It’s nearly as old as me.

you might be able to find someone who can do a straight boiler swap with leaving the hot water tank in place for cash.  (edited)
    I got three local quotes and they all came round and tried to impress me - obviously I went for the cheapest ;-)

You've done well to keep that old boiler going - would definitely replace if you can afford to.
    Boxt.co.uk will give you a general price and they are normally as good as price as any.
    Although it feels like false economy to spend £3k to replace a boiler than spend a couple of hundred repairing it I replaced an old Potterton Suprima with a new Valliant ecoTEC plus and I have to admit I wish I had done it sooner.

The new boiler is so much quieter and I’m already seeing a difference in my monthly gas usage.
    Author
    Yeah I'm okay with cost of either repairing or replacing but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and getting the right boiler. Reading past threads and the comments on each brand etc is brutal as it seems everything is bad lol.
    Paid £2100 for a ideal boiler for a 2 bed flat to replace a 16yr old boiler that develops a yearly fault for previous 2 years.
    Author
    Thanks, was that including installation?
    Are you on any child benefits? If so you can apply for a free one one of my work colleagues applied thinking they wouldn't get in but were approved they came and fitted in in three days it's a government scheme have a look online
    Hi, thank you for information.
    Is there a link i can take a look at?
    Author
    A friend's plumber gave me this quote:

• £3280 for all labour and materials:
    • Removing old system boiler, hot and cold water tanks.
    • Vaillant Eco Fit Pure 830, 30kw
    • TRV for 5 radiators
    • Wireless thermostat
    • Flushing the system
    • Vaillant Protector
    • Water scale reducer
    • 10 year manufacturer warranty

We have a Nest thermostat (only installed in Nov) and he said because it's a two way channel, it might not work so potentially £300 down the drain there for me

Boxt for the same boiler is £3645. Also £40 per TRV so it'll be another £200 on top. Their quote includes:

• Vaillant ecoFIT Pure 830 30kw
    • ESi Programmable Room Thermostat with Stand
    • Converting Standard Boiler to a Vaillant Wall Mounted Combi
    • Vaillant horizontal flue installation
    • Disposal of your old boiler
    • Carbon Monoxide Alarm
    • Combi Boiler Fittings Pack
    • Vaillant Magnetic System Filter
    • Vaillant Integral Filling Link
    • Condensate pipeworkPipework installation, alterations and upgrades
    • Fernox Water TreatmentElectrical work
    • Boiler Aftercare: 10 years warranty (on-site parts & labour)
    • BOXT to register the warranty & Building Control CertificateChemical Flush
    • BOXT 1 year workmanship guarantee

Is the Vaillant Protector the same as on the things mentioned in the Boxt quote? Is there anything important included in the Boxt quote that is missed from the plumber's? I'm assuming half of the stuff there is just standard trimmings.

The plumber is registered with Vaillant but he said he would also do Worcester Bosch Greenstar 4000 30kw at the same price. I enquired about the WB 2000 model but he said the 4000 is better as it's more powerful. Is the 4000 adequate/too much for my small 2 bed terraced 600+ square feet?

Are these prices about right?

I have been thinking about getting a water softener (any recommendations? :P) so might get it done at the same time. It shouldn't cause any issues right? Would the scale reducer be redundant or better to have it anyways? (edited)
's avatar