Posted 3 days ago

Advice on buying a bike

Hey guys,
I know there's some knowledgeable people here and I am looking for some advice on buying a bike to commute to work with the cyclescheme voucher.

The stats:
8 miles both ways on mainly flat terrain.
185 cm, 75 kg

Accessories to add:
Mudguards
Bike Rack
Kickstand

I was looking at the Riverside 500 from Decathlon or the Pinnacle Lithium 2 from Evans Cycles do you think these would do me fine or do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Any bike around that price point is much the same as any other really. If you can stretch to it, upping your budget to around £500 would give you a much better bike. It's worth adding in a decent helmet, lock (if you don't have secure parking at work) and lights too. You can also add in some suitable clothing too if you don't have any, which would make Decathlon a better choice for the bike as there's a much greater choice of clothing there.

Do you have shower facilities at work? If you don't it's not fun turning up soaking wet or dripping in sweat and not being able to sort yourself out. Having a locker helps too as you can leave toiletries and towels etc there to save you carting them in every day.
    Author
    Hi, Cakeboy79 thanks for the reply. I already have a lock and all the equipment I'm just upgrading the bike itself.
    Any examples for the £500 price point? From what I gathered they are pretty similar.
    Thanks!
    I've had bikes at a range of price points etc. Most important thing is getting the fit right for yourself. I like riding road bikes that are a 54 yet I see other people smaller than me who like a 58.. You can't just judge on what other people say IMO.

A cheaper bike will be fine to be honest. Weight saving is a big benefit of a lighter bike but if you aren't lifting it and happy for your ride to be a little slower then it is up to you if you want to pay the extra.
    Author
    Thanks PS5, yeah I guess that's true, I currently ride a bike that has only a working brake and a steel frame so anything would be pretty much a great upgrade.

I also saw the Trek Dual Sport 1 and the Pinnacle Cobalt 1 and there's even the Lithium 3 so I guess I will just pop into Evans and check them all out.