Posted 23 December 2023

Andoid smartphone recommendations based purely on camera quality.

Hi,
I am looking to buy an Android Smartphone, but all I am going to use it for is to take photographs and videos.
What phone do people think has the best camera on it?, I would like decent wide angle and zoom specs as well as being able to take photographs in low light situations. I was looking to pay no more than £800 pounds, hopefully less, and am not bothered if it is used, refurbished or B or C grade. I am also in no hurry to get it.
After research, I have come to favour the Google Pixel 8 Pro 256GB, would this be a good choice or do people have other suggestions. Thanks, Tony
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Why not just buy a camera?
    yeah, OP - if you want a camera, why not just buy a camera? or do you actually want a phone with a good camera.
    Pixel 8 Pro would be a good choice or another option would be Honor Magic5 Pro. Highly rated on GSMArena and DXOMark for its cameras. Can get it for under £680 at Honor.
    At some point in time real digital cameras removed the GPS function. We absolutely need our travel pics to have locations. For a couple of years the Mrs and I tinkered with those apps that merge your phone's location with the camera's image file. Far too fiddly and unreliable. Our (for its time) top end Sony digital camera and its superzoom lens now languish in a cupboard.
    Lol why? Why do you need it to have locations? Crazy necessity to have.
    If you really focus only on camera and don't care about Google Play, then the latest Huawei would be your choice.

If you need Google Play then either Pixel 8 Pro or wait till next year January.
    Oneplus 12, Oppo Find X7, Honor Magic 6.

I wouldn't bother with waiting for the Samsung S24. (edited)
    I'm not sure why you want to buy a phone to take pictures - especially zooming functions as you will always have to compromise on the camera features on a phone.
    I don't think anything new in the phone world has improved on the Huawei P30 Pro (happy to be corrected), I still think my old LG G5 could take a good picture despite it's 16MP sensor.
    If it's just for Camera then a Pixel phone 7/8
    Good answers above, if you really want to dig into it then the best ranking is here:
    dxomark.com/sma…es/
    S23 ultra
's avatar