Posted 31 December 2023

Bathroom extract fan not working, it powers on as if working but not sucking in air.

i have noticed the paint peeling/some mould on ceiling on past few week and came to the realisation the fan isn[t working.

i removed the panel in the bathroom and cleaned the mesh filter and beyond that is just the duct pipe going into the attic and ti ried to clean any obstruction as far as i could (nothing noticeable)
the actual fan would be in the attic i imagine - has this been fitted correctly?

and i also checked the exit path outside the house and removed the panel and i can hear it air blowing out.

so it looks like the on the bathroom side, its not taking in air?

what's the best way to troubleshoot this and likely cause?
do i have to get into the attic? i have never done this before so any help would be appreciated especially if i could fix myself and save £

the extractor fan is fairly new as we did the bathroom up about 18 months ago.
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You'll have to go into the loft. It sounds like the ducting between the bathroom and fan has split or fallen off the fan
    Just walk across the beams and you'll be ok. Leave the fan on when you go up there to feel for any blowing but don't fiddle with any electrical bits.
    You could try putting a single (light) sheet of toilet paper up against the fan vent inside the bathroom (with the fan on ) and see if the suction of the fan holds it there......if that makes sense?

That proves that the fan is sucking in air at least.

Do you know what sort of fan it is. Simplifying ceiling fans are probably going to be either

1/ fitted to the ceiling and the vent/fan are all in 1 --- you'll only have 1 flexi or solid pipe to the outside vent

2/ Inline fans have a vent in the ceiling / a pipe to the fan / the fan itself / a pipe to the outside vent

From what you describe you may have no 2

If youre comfortable doing it I would put my head up in the loft to see whats going on and take a couple of pictures ....or get someone else to do it for you if youre not

If not take some pictures of what you can see in the bathroom and post them here
    As has said above ....if youve air coming out of the external vent but no suction at the bathroom ceiling vent you may have a problem in between the ceiling vent and the fan. disconnected or crushed hose or pipe