Posted 10 December 2023

Best navigation app for a new driver

I have just got my driving license in this country. I am looking for suggestions for the best navigation app. Among other things, I think lane assistance is key area for me. Will you please be able to give your inputs on which app is the best? Should I be going for a SatNav like TomTom?
Community Updates
New Comment

28 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Your go to apps should be Waze and Google maps, they're both FREE and give lane assistance and work great either directly from a mobile phone or connected via Android Auto or Apple Car play.

My go to is Waze as it gives better live traffic reports, police, potholes etc and it is also owned by Google.

I tried the Free 12 months TomTom app but stopped as it wasn't very good compared to the others atleast in my experience. (edited)
    Waze hands down. Nothing else comes close.
    In my opinion, Waze is good for an experienced driver as it takes, many times, a zig zag route using smaller roads and lanes. Google Maps sticks more often with the major roads which may slow down the journey but are easier for a new driver to understand and navigate.
    Google Maps should be okay? Go to for navigation.
    Google maps does have it but it shows it at the top
    51716838-zq2wT.jpg
    Lane assistance is useless, it just leads you to make crazy manoeuvres and force other drivers up your inside etc. Learn to drive properly.
    But harsh on OP who has said he's a new driver and in a foreign country
    waze for sure

Google Maps has just had an update which has killed it (half the screen taken up with useless text so you can't see the map! )
    Waze hands down. I have Waze up on the car daily for updates on traffic and incidents and also use if for speed restrictions (Wales) it’s also really good navigation tool and re routes very well
    Waze is my go to but Google Maps is good too.
    Just get Google maps, simple. Download the maps so you can also use it without signal
    wasn’t there a deal on here the other day, for 12 months free Tom Tom ?
    Think it's expired, but it's not as good as Waze in my experience.
    Will they be using a car with Android Auto or Carplay?

If not personally I'd be trying to dissuade a new driver from using a phone in the car for SatNav (even if mounted properly) as the temptation to use apps they shouldn't while driving is for many people just too great.....

Cue the hate but I think handheld mobiles should be out of sight in all vehicles....I know most people will disagree with this though. (edited)
    I get your point but you also have apps when using Android Auto that can be distracting like the usual music streaming apps.
    Both Waze and Google maps use the same data (they are both owned by Google ! ) So it's a matter of preference, I prefer Waze .
    If your car supports android auto or apple play all the better... But I've spent years using a phone as a satnav with it on a mount.
    Most cars now come with inbuilt satnavs, but I still use Waze as it's using live data and routes you around traffic jams etc (as does Google maps)
    Try a few, see which you like...they are free.
    Yes my car has a built in sat nav but I've used it only once when picking up the car the first day.
    With Android Auto and Waze you get live traffic and community updates as well as free map updates where as I'd have to pay an annual fee for all that and it still wouldn't compare to Waze.
's avatar