Posted 2 December 2023

Best screenwash?

Which is the best screen wash?
Community Updates
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    No faffing about I just buy my grocery store Screen Wash, in my case Tesco concentrated and it does the job.

My question is what's the best windscreen de-icer spray as I never scrape the windscreen after I scratched it 25 years ago. Just bought some Holts from Tesco as it was on offer but not tried it yet?

And is there something I can put on the screen inside the car to stop it seriously misting up in extreme cold weather as it's been really hard to wipe off at 10pm this week before driving off? (edited)
    I use Prestone De-Icer in a can:

screwfix.com/p/prestone-aerosol-de-icer-600ml/2381g

Get a demister pad, better than using an old cloth to wipe.

You can try a windscreen shield cover.

Try a dehumidifier pad in the car to prevent moisture build up. Never tried these myself so can't vouch for how well they work.

You can try the shaving foam trick, get a cloth and wipe shaving foam around the windscreen, then get another clean cloth and wipe the foam away. Scroll down further here:

rac.co.uk/drive/advice/winter-driving/how-to-demist-your-windscreen-in-double-quick-time/

I have a heated windscreen and climate control so haven't tried any of the above, I just wait 5mins, it usually clears up. If it's extra icy then I will spray some of the De-Icer.

You can try some of the above, they may work for you. (edited)
    For years I just bought the cheapest concentrate, it got used fast as I drove a lot. More recently my mileage dropped off a lot so the car stands with the washer water in for a few months. Last Spring the washers became blocked and on disassembling the reservoirs found it was full of algae which blocked the filter. I now use Prestone as it has the best reviews on motoring forums for avoiding this problem. Time will tell if they are correct.
    Not saying its the best but I tend to buy Halfords 5L Concentrate (in berry scent) as its supposedly good down to -10 degrees. I think most of the concentrates are 1 part screenwash to 5 parts water. So this will make 25 Litres of useable screenwash. Its probably more expensive at the minute.... than it normally is....

Downside is you have to have another 5L bottle to mix it in ....or maybe a 4L clean milk bottle at a push...

Link
    Im not an eco warrior particularly but I forgot to say that transporting 5L ready mixed containers around the country isnt particularly planet friendly. The 5L concentrate (of any kind) is going to be better .....

Emergency situations ...when you run out ....excepted.
    Don't use the tablets as many will vouch for them clogging your tubes and pump.
    I agree with the Halfords berry, but only buy the concentrate version as it is usually the same price as ready mix, and is it really so difficult to mix some in a container?
    I currently use Prestone concentrate because there was a deal in Costco. But to either of these I add a few drops of dishwasher rinse aid to give a layer to the glass. Perhaps not as effective as a dedicated product, like Rain-X, but works for me.
    Author
    Just bought some 5l Prestone yellow screen wash from Morrisons for £6. Never would have thought about adding some rinse aid. I need some anyway so I'll get some from Lidl. How much do you add, a capful of rinse aid? Cheers.
    Have always used Halfords Berry or Prestone, whichever is cheaper. Been happy with both.
    Author
    Does anyone clean their screen wash reservoir?
    Never had to in 15 years of driving, never had any blockages either.

Just stick to good quality screenwash and never mix brands. Fully use up the current one first, run water through and then fill up with a different brand if you wish.
    I find the AutoGlym one very good!
    Bit more expensive but I think it's worth it.
    I tend to just fill up with the one at the petrol station that's in the same machine as the tyre inflator. About £1/£1.50
    I can't imagine ever paying for air.
    Just be careful with what car you have - I used to use Cheap euro car parts screen wash in my BMW 5 series and that ended up clogging up the reservoir. You have to use BMW's own screenwash if you have a BMW otherwise it will clog it up!!
's avatar