Posted 16 March 2024

Best zero % Lager/Beer?

I wanted to try and reduce my alcohol lager/beer consumption for overall health reasons as I'm 60+ and over weight but TBH I do like the odd beer most night's! So wanted ask you lovely people for some recommendations for non alcoholic or zero % beers, lagers etc but especially beers/lagers which actually taste good, similar to alcohol based beers! I haven't really tried many zero % types before so have limited experience! I currently drink Desperados Tequila Lager , San Miguel or Birra Moretti, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Stella Artois, Budweiser, like the odd Guinness! Hic hic
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Guinness Zero, Lucky Saint, Big Drop, and a few more. Many other good recommendations in this old thread.
    I'm no master brewer but I do work for a large brewer (albeit not making beer). We recently had a tasting session of many of the 0% and low alcohol beers to compare with our brands 0% and low % versions, they were all loathsome apart from the Guinness zero which although not as good as real Guinness is bearable. Generally darker beers retain there flavour better than light beers when the alcohol content is reduced or removed due to the deeper flavour imparted by the darker malt used.

My understanding is the issue with 'most' zero beers is they are brewed as normal and then the Ethanol is removed, this also removes most of the beers natural flavour, the flavour then has to be built back up artificially. Guinness zero is brewed using a new different method that doesn't suffer with that issue hence it retains most of its natural flavour, downside to this method is that it can leave some unwanted organisms in the product (hence the recent quality recall of lots of Guinness 0%). I found that although Guinness 0% does have a very close flavour to original Guinness it does lack some of the creaminess and mouthfeel compared to real Guinness.

Personally I'd say if you want to reduce your alcohol intake for health reasons just don't drink beer at all, drink something else instead (squash, fruit juice, water) then treat yourself to a beer a couple of times a week..in moderation beer really isn't that bad for you.

0% and low % beer isn't really healthier , it just has less alcohol, still has the same amount of sugar etc...

If your a regular beer drinker you'll likely struggle to find a 0% beer that tastes as good as the real thing. (edited)
    Sorry, I must be too common lol. Becks Blue chilled has kept me alcohol free for over 5 years now. Usually £4.00 for 6 bottles at Sainsburys, also don’t mind a chilled Heineken 0% £3.49 for 6 cans at Home Bargains last time I looked. I use to drink far too much Alcohol but now I much prefer being sober and less tired .
    I can only heartily recommend Guinness Zero as the lagers I have tried are only tolerable at best.
    I like st. Peters without, Guinness zero, ghost ship and doom bar.
    Guinness 0.0 or Lucky Saint
    You made it to 60 without realising it's spelt lager?
    Guinness Zero
    The old speckled hen one is not bad . Not as good as the one with alcohol in , but nice when cold .
    Beavertown Lazer crush is good. Not a fan of their hipster beers but the non alcoholic one tastes better than their alcoholic stuff.
    Guinness Zero or Corona 0%
    Guinness 0.0 best by a long way, Doom Bar and Adnams Ghost Ship are also pretty good. The problem with the AF lagers is that there's not much else going on flavour-wise so the missing alcohol is more obvious. Beck's Blue used to be the best but now Peroni and Heineken have surpassed it. In my experience it also takes a couple of weeks of being alcohol free before you really stop noticing the missing alcohol.
    Stella 0%, tastes surprisingly good and has the second lowest sugar content after Heineken.
    Erdinger for me. But so many out there now. Getting more like Spain where the selection there on 0% or low is pretty much mirrored by the alcoholic versions
    Peroni 0:0
    Another vote for Erdinger
    Another vote for Guinness 0.0%, it tastes very similar to the regular one.

Estrella Galicia 0.0% is also very good I've found, Corona Cero isn't too bad either.

I tried the Erdinger one tonight and I was very disappointed as a lot of people have mentioned it's good on here.

Heineken 0.0% I've tried too and it's completely tasteless IMO.

I've got Lucky Saint, Adnams Ghost Ship and Bud Zero lined up to try.
's avatar