Posted 16 January 2024

Boiler and parts

Hi all, any suggestion on buying Combi boiler. I mean where to buy from and saving tips please. Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Our Valiant now about 8 years old had a couple of faults altogether and neither actually stopped it working. A 2 way valve was getting noisy, and the pressurising thingy (Megaflo?) was failing. The parts were so cheap it wasn't worth claiming via the warranty - the guy who does our annual service just added a bit of labour on. Recommend buying one with a generous heating capacity then running it at lowest practical temperatures for each circuit, HW and CH can be set separately.
    Get a quote from a local independent gas safe engineer. I have a Vaillant, which has a 10 year guarantee/warranty (all free) as the fitted was one of their top accredited guys. Other boilers come with only five years - all subject to it being serviced annually.

As for prices - I would have thought the installer would be able to get the best price as he would have access to trade prices. Boxt fit Worcester Bosch and are very competitive, but I have no idea as to how good they are 'as they are only as good as their best installer'.

Get several quotes based on the size of the property, whether radiators can be added etc. They will be very busy currently given the weather!
    I used BOXT, had no issues with them and they did a good job. They also automatically activated a 10 year guarantee. They were £400 cheaper than installing it directly from Worcester Bosch and still £300 cheaper than a local gas safe engineer.
    They are apparently cheaper because BOXT are part owned by Worcester Bosch, so they can afford to offer that brand at lower prices than their competitors. If your going for a different brand of boiler from them, then may be that could be cheaper elsewhere.
    When I had my boiler changed last year my local plumbering shop was cheaper than I could get the boiler for online by some £200 so make sure you check.

Also some local plumbers may be able to get discounts from local shops, if they are willing to pass that onto you then that can also make the overall cost cheaper.
    Local boiler guys tend to pocket the discount rather than pass savings on
    Just remember you're best off getting the boiler supplied and fitted by the same person.

If you buy the boiler, and when it's installed there's a fault or issue, would you expect then tradesperson to remove/replace the boiler FOC?

Many people won't install customer supplied goods, as there can be issues if there's a fault/claim down the line.
    Author
    Thanks guys. I was given a quote which has plumber's discount. Using their mobile app and applying code saved £50. I know its not a lot but still better than shop+plumber trade discount combo. Cheers
    So which boiler are you going for?
's avatar