Posted 3 days ago

Car Repair - taken 8 weeks

Hi,

So my car went in to Arnold Clark to get an ad blu sensor, sat nav replacement screen and then an MOT. My car is covered under warranty (warranty company booked me into Arnold Clark)

It took 3 weeks to fix the ad blu and sat nav screen issue. They then said they could do the MOT the following week.

They ended up doing the MOT much sooner but never called to say it failed on a Coil Spring (and bushes which I will have to pay for as they are not covered under warranty). It failed on 5th April.

I called back on the 16th April after discovering it had been MOT much sooner than they said.

The guy I was dealing with told me that he had been off work so they had not sought approval from the warranty company for the Coil Spring. I told him it was ridiculous that my car had been in by a month by this point and now another MOT had to be done (as it had gone past the retest window).

He then told me that he had to send a photograph of the spring to the warranty company to get approval. I told him I was not happy at having to pay for a second MOT- he said it was all his fault and for me not to worry about the second MOT charge as he would use his staff discount to get it cheaper for me!!

Another week goes by and I speak to another guy on the service desk who told me that the Spring had still not been ordered and that he could see no record of a photograph being requested by the warranty company (I think he only told me this as I told him I wanted all the correspondence between them and the warranty company as I was going to complain)

My car eventually got repaired yesterday and I need to collect it today.

Basically I have been told lies by Arnold Clark - the part was never ordered on the 5th April - it was ordered on Monday and fixed yesterday.

My warranty does not provide a courtesy car so all in all I have been without a car for 8 weeks because of their lies and incompetence.

They have said they will waive the second MOT charge but do I have any right to compensation for the length of time they have had my car?

Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts, thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

26 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Peugeot 5008 Adblue tank replaced last year.
    Luckily I took out Peugeot’s own extended warranty.
    Best part of 2k.
    Had to drive 65 miles each way to the only dealer that would book me in for a warranty job, local dealers 
    told me 6-8 weeks for scan, then 3-4 weeks until fix.
    The dealer I used to took 8 working days from start to finish including a weekend.
    Author
    That’s good going for a tank replacement. Yeah my problem started in January - took 6 weeks to get an appointed - and all the while my car was counting down the miles until it was saying “impossible to start in xx miles” - glad you had the warranty to cover the cost.
    Call Daniel Barnett(LBC radio legal hour Saturday) he can give u the legal answer to your question with regard compensation and consequential losses.
    Author
    Oh interesting. Never thought of doing anything like that. Wonder if there would be any chance if actually getting through as I could imagine it is a very popular phone in.
    What awful service from Arnold Clark.

A relative of mine bought a used Mazda from Arnold Clark (it was not cheap) but had problems with it.

He took it to another garage to be checked and they said the car was not roadworthy and said it may cost many thousands to put right.

Arnold Clark took it back and did all the repairs but I cant believe they sold it in such an unroadworthy condition.

Before your story I had already decided NEVER to buy a car from Arnold Clark your story just convinced me I was right.
    Author
    I didn’t but it from Arnold Clark but had a relative who did and they had nothing but problems with their car.
    Rubbish service by Arnold Clark.
    I think your complaint will be directed towards the warranty company though, as that is who your contract is with.
    You could try writing a letter of complaint and see what happens but unless you've suffered an actual loss I'm not really sure what you could claim for.
    This. Write a complaint letter to the warranty company but there is no legal recompense if you haven't made a financial loss from the delay.

You could ask for compensation as a goodwill gesture due to inconvenience. You may be lucky, but there isn't much you can do, except rely on their goodwill.
    The same old story with " warranty " repairs, this is an age old story that goes back donkey years, warranty repairs are done on a fixed price dictated by the warrenty providers, if the garage was able to charge you instead, it would be done tootsweet, all you can do is be such a nuisence to them, phone many times a day, email, even turn up if you can, and they will get you sorted quicker just to be shot of you.
    Terrible company, My brother sold them a car. Agreed a price, they approved it and signed documents which literally stated that once signed, then the transfer of ownership is basically complete. Then the following day they tried backing out. I read them their own t&c's, I argued with them and eventually they caved in and paid the agreed price.
    I hate Arnold Clark, years ago I went to buy my mams a car, seen one she liked and when I checked the service book it hadn't been serviced for 4 years, the salesman said yeah but we've just done it and spent over a thousand point on stuff that needs doing... he couldn't grasp not servicing a car for 4 years was bad for the engine!

As for you not getting a courtesy car, there is a thing called consequential losses, maybe look into that. Think it basically means with you not having a car you've lost money as you could get to work or go to jobs etc
    Author
    I will give it a go complaining to Arnold Clark and copy my warranty company in too. I did read about consequential loss.

I’m not looking for a massive payout but even if they had stuck a free complimentary gift in my car (although it would have been an Arnold Clark umbrella and an air freshener - I would have at least felt acknowledged
    Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts, thanks.

You bought a car from Arnold Clark and took it to Arnold Clark for MOT.

Enough said.

If the warranty is with a 3rd party provider you can take the car to any registered garage and have repairs done there.
    Author
    Sorry I wasn’t clear, I did not buy the car from Arnold Clark. The warranty company book you into the nearest garages on their “approved list” - I live in rural Perthshire Scotland so they only ones on their list within a 60 mile radius of my home is Arnold Clark.
    Think yourself somewhat lucky. Our BMW GT had an adblu sensor fail which resulted in the entire tank being replaced at nearly 2K. It is out of warranty.
    Author
    Oh no way! That’s awful. I have heard someone else who had to have the tank replaced on theirs and it was £1400 (it was a small car). The ad blu systems do seem to cause a lot of problems in cars.
    Arnold Clark CEO email: eddie.hawthorne@arnoldclark.com
's avatar